What makes a great DIPA; Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggor

Reaction score
I would like to collect information on the essential components on making a great Imperial IPA (DIPA) comments about a single aspect or ingredient or your whole recipe or process. or even your favorite beer and why you like it.
example;
Include your favorite commercial example, the water profile, base grains, specialty grains, adjuncts and simple sugars, other kettle additions like yeast nutrient, and finings, hop combinations, timing of the hop additions, whether you bag your hops, have you used concentrated hop oils, first wort hopping, hop backs, dry hoping schedules, hopping in your serving keg, pushing through a Randal, the yeast you use, yeast starters stepping up your yeast, dropping yeast out before your dry hop. Mash temperature, separating hop matter and trub techniques. Fermentation temperature, Raising that fermentation temp for your dry hop, cold crashing and removing yeast, filtering,. Bottling; what type of priming sugar and how much, do you add fresh yeast to prime. And finally what you feel makes a great tasting DIPA aroma, flavors; citrus, dank, tropical fruit, maltiness, sweetness, bitter hop taste, mouthfeel; dry, thick, sweet, boozy/alcohol warming,

Three Floyds Dreadnaught, in my opinion, is a great example. IPAs, to me, actually seem MORE hoppy than a DIPA like Dreadnaught. I could be wrong, but that's what I like about a DIPA over an IPA.

Back