Mixed-Style Beer Orange Kolsch (AG/EX)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used .75/oz of the bitter and sweet. I would not go any more than that. It has a wonderful orange flavor but it overpowers the coriander. The one thing I like about this recipe is that you can really play around with it and it still comes out a great beer. I generally use this a standard when I teach someone to brew AG. It is really tough to screw up.

I used .75/oz of the bitter and sweet. I would not go any more than that. It has a wonderful orange flavor but it overpowers the coriander. The one thing I like about this recipe is that you can really play around with it and it still comes out a great beer. I generally use this a standard when I teach someone to brew AG. It is really tough to screw up.

So you recommend 0.75 oz of EACH of the types of orange peel? Did you add the peel at 15, 10 or 5 minutes of the boil?

Brewed 10g this last weekend for an upcoming wedding - hope it comes out tasty.

Mashed a little lower than anticipated (151ish) due to bad thermometers... stupid technology. Added 5g of Chamomile as well at the last 2 minutes to get some more flair into this one.

OG 1.052

I see there's secondary time on this recipe - but I dont see any mroe additions of flavor... is it just for clarifying?

Worried about the orange and coriander flavor in this one... thinking of carbing up once primay is over and sampling and adding sacks of flavor as needed (zest/coriander/chamomile).

let me know how it comes out with the lower mash temp. I
try to mash @156 but the again I like the malty flavor with of this beer. I don't think you will have any problem with the orange flavor coming through

Yea, I intended to hit 155 but... one broken floating therm and a digital thermometer that seemingly has a changing variable of +10-17 degrees... ended up using my tertiary backup and lost some heat in the process. Not too sad -- as I think drier may work well with this style. We'll see - checking fermentation progress probably tomorrow.

Bottled this last night after a week and a half in secondary with extra orange peel. All the way up until now it tasted pretty good, now it's bitter and not as good. Hoping a few weeks in the bottle will change that

After a week in the bottle I cracked one open for a taste test. All I have to say is I can not wait for this to fully condition. Great flavor and already more then half way carbed up. I'm really glad I added the extra orange peel to the secondary. It had a real nice orange flavor. Light and crisp

This sounds like a great idea. My brother and I make a Belgium Wit as a staple for the keezer, but a variation like this sounds like fun. Also, I wanted to canvas the group to see if anyone had ever tried a lime cilantro combo in a brew like this? I'm not sure about the cilantro. I'm just don't know how it would play out, bitter? Bland? Savory? Just not sure...any thoughts out there.

I just did a 10 gallon batch of this yesterday. I split the batch into 2 separate boils. I used US-05 and wyeast kolsch so I can see what the difference is between the 2. I have to say that the kolsch yeast took off like crazy and I had to add a blow off this morning. I also have it sitting in an ice bath to keep the temp down. Thanks Biermuncher for another recipe to try.

I just brewed this yesterday, and was wondering if you guys racked the orange and coriander into primary after boiling. I generally use a big bag for the hops, and I put the orange/coriander into the bag, which means that it all came out after the boil. Am I going to be missing flavors because of this?

I just brewed this yesterday, and was wondering if you guys racked the orange and coriander into primary after boiling. I generally use a big bag for the hops, and I put the orange/coriander into the bag, which means that it all came out after the boil. Am I going to be missing flavors because of this?

If you gave the spices a good 10 minutes in the boil, you should be fine. That should be long enough to extract the essential oils and lock in the flavor. The aroma and flavor of the added ingredients are meant to raise peoples curiosity about “something familiar “ in this beer… and not be the primary focus.

That's what I was hoping to hear. If this batch turns out alright I will post my partial-mash version. Thanks so much for the help!

After reading through dozens of recipes, I've decided a variant of this is going to be my next batch. I've only brewed one batch of home brew, so this will be batch #2. My first batch was a LME, with steeping grains, an American IPA kit from The Brew Hut, here in Colorado. It's carbonating in the bottles right now and should be starting to come around in another week or two.

I plan to try my hand at BIAB with this recipe. Got my voile bag from Jeff Omundson at bagbrewer.com: http://www.bagbrewer.com/index.html It seems like a sturdily designed product that I'm anxious to use. I actually found him through a thread here at HBT. Since I haven't done BIAB yet, I'm not sure what my efficiency is will be, so I placed it at 72% in Beersmith.

Here are the ingredients I went and picked up today for a 5-gallon batch of this, which I'm going to name "Mandarin Muncher Kolsch." All grains were run through the grain mill twice, with the flaked wheat left out of the mill.

5-pounds Pale Malt (2-Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.5-pounds Pale Malt (2-Row) Belgian (3.0 SRM) (I thought this would be interesting in combination with the US 2-Row.)
1-pound White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
1-pound Flaked Wheat (1.6 SRM)
0.5-pounds Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.19-pounds (3-ounces) Acidulated Malt (3.0 SRM)
0.5-oz. Hallertauer (4.5%) pellet, 60-minutes
0.25-oz. Hallertauer (4.5%) pellet, 20-minutes
0.25-oz. Tettnanger (4.8%) pellet, 20-minutes
0.5-oz. Tettnanger (4.8%) pellet, 10-minutes
???[0.5-oz. Cascade (8.0%), 10-minutes]???
1.5-oz. Dehydrated Orange Peel, 10-minutes
2-grams Seeds of Paradise, crushed, 10-minutes
Wyeast 2575 Kolsch II, will make a starter, then harvest for future use.
I also bought 1-ounce of Cascade pellets (8.0%) that I bought that I'm trying to decide if I want to use at all? I'm wondering if I added 0.5-oz. of it near the end of the boil, maybe around the 10-minute mark, if it'd complement the orange peel and seeds of paradise a bit without going overboard on the bitterness? I do like hops, but I realize that Kolsch standards are in the 20-30 IBU range, which this would be (mid 20s). I added the 3-oz. of acidulated malt in hopes of adding a bit of interest to the finish, without it being apparent.

The only thing that will likely happen outside of the Kolsch style guidelines is the potential for the ABV to be above 5.2%, the upper limit for Kolsch. Again though, I have no idea, since this will be my first BIAB.

I was originally going to go with an ale yeast like US-05 or something similar, but saw they had recently gotten in some 2575, and thought I'd give liquid yeast a try, since my first batch of beer used Lallemand Nottingham. It's a good excuse to break out my new stir plate and try my hand at a starter.

Any comments or input on this recipe are appreciated. (I also started a separate thread on this.)

just made the NB Farmhouse Ale and used the Wyeast 3725. It was wonderful.......after a month in the bottle it had a great malty flavor. I washed (rinsed) the yeast and think it will go fantastic with this recipe. A English bitter tonight and this is next on the list.

I'd like to try this original recipe using the extract version but I'm a little confused by the grains. Can one safely steep them as per a normal extract recipe or should I attempt a "mini mash" and try to convert the starch?

IronRamekin said:
I'd like to try this original recipe using the extract version but I'm a little confused by the grains. Can one safely steep them as per a normal extract recipe or should I attempt a "mini mash" and try to convert the starch?

Wheat malt must be mashed

I'm not sure if this is a typo, or intentional. The Flaked Wheat is listed at 1lb for both the 11gal and 5.5gal batch. I just put your 11gallon batch into Beersmith and then scaled (duh, I didn't scroll down enough to see you had the smaller batch size), which is how I caught this. I'm guessing it is a typo, but Biermuncher??

Could you use nottingham ale yeast? I have a few packs nearing their end and want to use them up.

Pleepleus said:
I'm not sure if this is a typo, or intentional. The Flaked Wheat is listed at 1lb for both the 11gal and 5.5gal batch. I just put your 11gallon batch into Beersmith and then scaled (duh, I didn't scroll down enough to see you had the smaller batch size), which is how I caught this. I'm guessing it is a typo, but Biermuncher??

I have always scaled it down

Brewed a half batch of this over the weekend and usednottingham ale yeast that I rehydrated. The fermentation blew my airlock off on day 2 and foamed all over my floor. On the upside, it did smell pretty good

Brewed this a little over a week ago and split the batch between 2 buckets. One I used German Ale 1007 and the other used Kolsch 2565. Fermenting at 60 degrees. Day 2 on the 2565 and the airlock was overtaken as well and I had to go to a blowoff tube. The 1007 was much better behaved. This is our first brew ever so excited to see how it turns out. Bought a freezer today to set up a keezer so this has somewhere to go.

Brewing this one today. Im going to add some Summit in the last hop edition for a little more orange/tangerine aroma. Does a Cascade:Summit ratio of 2:1 sound about right?

TIA

Trying this one for the umpteenth time. Gonna experiment a little and use Antwerp Ale yeast and add 1/2 lb of munich. I have a buddy who wants it a little more malty.

Brewed this last week, finally have a fermentation chamber setup and have been able to control the fermentation perfectly this time around.

Excited to see how this one turns out!

Biermuncher,
I was curious if you've tried this recipe with any other yeasts before?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I meant like experimenting with different yeasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Can anyone (including Biermuncher) compare this beer to Centennial Blond-- which has become my house easy drinkin please everyone beer.?.

Will possibly be brewing this in the near future. My question is though as a am a new brewer with only 2 batches under my belt. For the extract version is it possible to do a 3gal-4gal boil then top off to 5 in the fermenter with not changing the amount of ingredients. If not could some one adjust it for say a 3 gal boil 5 gal batch. Thanks

Owe the in-laws quite a favor, and MIL loves herself a Canoe Paddler. I'll give this a whack.

Thanks for the recipe! It's a great one. I like this beer like I like my women, young and blonde.

I knocked this up over the weekend, I used Kolsch yeast (Wyeast, had some washed).
Looks promising.

I brewed the 11 gallon all-grain batch of this and after 3 weeks in the fermenter the samples I have pulled taste very blah - watered down and generally not good.
Has anyone else experienced this? Does the flavor wake up with some carbonation? I may end up adding some more orange peel and coriander to see if that helps.

Back