Looking for young brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

courtneylind

Reaction score
Hello!
I am a student at the University of Oregon and I am writing an article on home brewing, specifically looking for younger people (under 21) who have taken it up.
If you fit this despcription or know someone who does, please feel free to message me, or call me at 503-830-8135.

Thanks so much!

-Courtney

Whack.

obie_ban_kinobe.jpg

Dejavu. You know what that means. A bug in the program. Mr. Smith is on his way.

I'm 22, don't know if under 21 is mandatory. Might have trouble finding a bunch of people in that age range since it isn't quite legal, correct?

yeah man it's not legal for them to drink not sure if it's legal to buy the stuff and possess the equipment/ingredients. i order most of my stuff online and had debit cards before i turned 21. people don't ask me for id when ordering the ingredients online. or when i go to the homebrew store either for that matter. and i'm only 22. in indiana if you buy alcohol they have to id everyone even if they are obviously over 21. i work in a grocery store and we had to id a 50+ year old lady. she begged us to let her buy wine because she forgot her id. she had to let someone behind her in line buy it for her.

You mean underage brewers? Hmm, now I'm all about free people ignoring stupid laws, but they'd be kinda dumb to discuss it in public.

I'm also doing an article. It's about people who sell meth. If you sell meth, please call me. My name is Officer Johns... errr... Mike, my name is Mike.

Sorry! I'm seriously not out to get anyone in trouble. It's not illegal to brew beer in your own home, no matter the age...at least in my state. Just because someone underage brews beer doesn't mean they will be drinking it. Obviously I realize that most people will, but as long as I don't say that explicitly in my article (which I won't) then there is no problem.

Didn't your other thread about this get deleted? Just go down a few threads and there it is.

SUCCESS.

Seriously though, drinking (and probably by extension homebrewing) when you're under 21 is illegal in America. Probably not the best idea to try and find out about it on the largest homebrew forum.

Seriously though, drinking (and probably by extension homebrewing) when you're under 21 is illegal in America.

While probably true in general for this board, and I agree this 'should' be true, it is, in fact, a myth. The Federal law (23 U.S.C. § 158) specifies bans on 'purchasing' and 'public possession' under the age of 21. It doesn't address under age consumption at all. State laws vary, and some extend it to a ban.

There are 6 States that explicitly state a ban on drinking under the age of 21.

There are still about 8 States that allow consumption under 21 when at home or supervised by consenting family members.

Of those states not included in the above 2 groups, most make no mention of underage consumption and defer to the Federal law.

And you can check to see what your State says on the matter of homebrewing here:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes

I am not a student.... but I am lookinf for people under 21 who brew.... and have big boobs. And not Moobs! PST immediately.

I'm curious of the reasoning/benefit to the article being written. Of all the brewers out there, why would you specifically target those that are not of age to drink beer? It's like asking for an interview with a chef that has never tasted their own food. What could they possibly know that was beneficial?

I can't believe this forum doesn't have a script that blocks out phone numbers.

/I also can't believe all of the info facebook puts out there
//Fun fact, if you post your phone number in one of those "I lost my phone number" threads and the originator doesn't make it private any weirdo on the internet can find your number and all your friend's numbers

Hello!
I am a student at the University of Oregon and I am writing an article on home brewing, specifically looking for younger people (under 21) who have taken it up.
If you fit this despcription or know someone who does, please feel free to message me, or call me at 503-830-8135.

Thanks so much!

-Courtney

Nice try Uncle Sam. Not enough going on in the world so I guess it's time to start looking at us brewers. Maybe this genius thinks bottle bombs are some-kind of I.E.D.

I've tasted plenty of crappy homebrew from people. If one were making it and not worried about having to drink it I would think it would be much good. It's like a chef not tasting his food before he sends it out in my eyes.

Hello Courtney,

I'm not 21 or under, just 33.3 years past your age requirement. Dang!...I was hoping to give you some meaningful input...know what I mean?;)

You are nutz in thinking your request will get the response you are phishing for, and obviously clueless to what craft brewing entails.

How about stating "why" you would want such information, and what you are going to with it, huh...how about that?

Personally, I don't think you are for real, and probably not even a female.

What <21 year old, smart enough to make beer would be so stupid to respond to this farce?

I know I wouldn't if I were a "young whipper snapper".

:mug:Sweety

Under 21? Wow, I never thought that at 23, I'd be too OLD for anything on this board.

I must make an addendum to my former post.

The Federal law describing the legalities of making your own beer (United States Code Title 27, Part 25, Subpart L, Section 25.205 ) specifically states that if you are too young to "purchase" beer locally, you are too young to make it. Since it is a universal law in the US that you must be 21 to purchase (not consume), it is therefore a universal law that you cannot brew your own beer under 21.

To admit to homebrewing, if you are under 21, is to admit to breaking the law. And to the OP, since it isn't advocated on this board for members to break the law (they will be banned if they admit it), this isn't the best forum to get a response from someone meeting your description.

Good luck in your endeavors, but I'm skeptical of your intentions.

As soon as the wort starts to ferment and creates alcohol that person would then be in posession of alcohol,but up until that point I don't think it would be a problem.If you amswer this post and are under 21 ,just plea ignorance,"Last time I was in there that bucket was just filled with sweet syrupy water,I don't know what happened" PS: I would hope our law enforcement wouldn"t waste our tax dollars going after a handfull of underage homebrewers, There are way too many meth labs out there to go after.Which I believe is a slightly bigger problem facing our youth these days.Leave our homebrewers alone!

" PS: I would hope our law enforcement wouldn"t waste our tax dollars going after a handfull of underage homebrewers, There are way too many meth labs out there to go after.Which I believe is a slightly bigger problem facing our youth these days.Leave our homebrewers alone!

Vice squads are all about wasting our tax dollars on such frivolous enforcement.

hey im 20 and brew but im in the UK so its all legal :D

Hello!

Thanks so much!

-Courtney

Didn't you already get deleted for "encouraging" underage brewing?

Sorry! I'm seriously not out to get anyone in trouble. It's not illegal to brew beer in your own home, no matter the age...at least in my state. Just because someone underage brews beer doesn't mean they will be drinking it. Obviously I realize that most people will, but as long as I don't say that explicitly in my article (which I won't) then there is no problem.

Yes, it is illegal to brew beer in your own home if you are under 21 in Oregon. It's even illegal for a homebrewer to remove the beer from the home, and take it anywhere- like to your own campsite or a homebrew competition in Oregon.

We can debate the legalities, but you know what I hate? I hate that I was ignored the first time, closed the first thread, and you started it again. That REALLY pisses me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back