A couple of questions about sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
Just a couple of questions. I am about to brew my first batch in a couple of days. It has been about 15 years since I last brewed. I have read a lot about sanitizing so I pretty much know what I am supposed to do.

My questions are.... I was going to use Iodophor for sanitizing. To sanitize everything I was going to place the solution in my bottling bucket and keep everything in the sloution until needed. I know that Iodophor is no rinse, but do I have to wait for the solution to completely dry before I use the items. i.e spoon,blowoff hose, airlock etc.????

If it does have to completely dry, won't the sanitized item collect bacteria on it while it is drying?

With the carboy, I will clean it, sanitize, the store it upside down to dry. Do I have to wait for it to dry completely? If so, do you put something like Saran wrap over the mouth of the bottle?

Any input on how you guys do things would be a big help.

Thanks.

This kind of confused me as well when I just did my first brew with a buddy of mine. We realized that when they say "dry" it doesn't actually mean completely dry. In terms of spoons, airlocks, spouts, etc. the sanitizer will do its job with wet contact so there is no need to do anything but pull it out of your solution, shake it off, and go to town.

I've also heard that the remnants of the solution will positive effect the yeast in your batch during fermentation. That's all the advise I can give as of now. GL and HF.

I've also heard that the remnants of the solution will positive effect the yeast in your batch during fermentation. That's all the advise I can give as of now. GL and HF.

That's only for starsan...Iodophor has no effect postive or negative on yeast health, but starsan does become yeastfood...

In the sanitizer questions thread I posted the links to 2 excellent podcast on using either Starsan or Iodophor...they are both fantastic sanitizers...and I highly recommend either of them..Actually I alternate between using both of them.

Thanks Revvy and everyone. I read thru the thread and it answered all of my qustions. Thanks!!!

One more though...Do you sanize your brewpot before brewing or just figure that the boiling wort and steam will do the rest?

No need to sanitize the pot. The boil will kill the nasties forthwith.

EDIT: Dammit Revvy, I finally help somebody and you beat me by seconds. Do you have some sort of radar?

Latest posts

Back