Low Carbonation Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I brewed a pretty big beer sometime ago, 1.091 OG, which had an FG of 1.013. It sat in the primary for about 2 weeks, then another 3 in secondary before bottling. Now it's been sitting in the bottles at ~70F for about 3.5 weeks, but the carbonation still seems pretty low. I know often times it takes longer to carb bigger beers, but can I speed it up a little bit by gently swirling the bottles to kick the yeast into gear? The beer was pretty clear while bottling, so I'm afraid there was very little yeast and those that were there, were pretty tired. So what do you think? More time in bottles, or can I swirl?

I've had a couple of batches with low carbonation and I found that a swirl really helped. Your temp looks fine so I think you just need to wake the little bad boys up :) Start swirling!

Swirl 'em up. It'll help. But with a beer that big, it's just plain going to take longer to carb.

What kind of yeast did you use? Are you near it's alc tolerance?

"seems pretty low" from trying one, or visual inspection?

I always fill one plastic PET bottle and can tell by squeezing the bottle if it's carbonated enough or not.

I used 2 packages of Nottingham yeast. I'll go a head and give me a little swirl.

n00b here with a quick question on your question. If I did that right, does that equal out to 10.2% abv?

formula used: ((1.05 (OG-FG)) /FG) /0.79 correct?

it was a pretty basic recipe from AHS, but I tweaked it a little:

13.5# 2-row
1.5# Crystal 120L
2# LDME
2 oz Chinook @ 60 min
.5 oz Chinook @ 15 min
.5 oz Chinook @ 5 min
2 packages of Nottingham yeast

Mashed at 152F for 60 minutes.

Back