Rye Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aStoutObserver

Reaction score
I know how dumb this will sound, but is Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye a good example of most rye beers?
I've had two beers involving rye and disliked them both. I'm okay with that, but want to be certain it is the rye that I'm disliking.

I wouldn't judge any styles based on anything sierra nevada brews, just saying. Wouls be like asking if new castle is a good example of brown ales imo

Given how many bad beers I've tried period, I think two is a small sample size.

Ruthless Rye is an IPA, so while rye obviously is a major player, it's going to be different than, say, an APA with rye or a beer that subs rye for wheat.

In short, I think you need to drink a few more (say 5 distinct beers at least) to know for sure.

Sounds good. I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad to try a few more. I can't remember the other beer off hand either.

Ruthless is a beer I disliked the first time I drank it. I finished off the sixer over the span of about two weeks and found that I really liked it by then. That's a beer I'd give a second try if you've only had one and say you didn't like it.

I have had a couple of rye beers from the store and thought they were pretty good. Brewed one up myself and did not like it. I think I used too much rye.

At any rate, maybe try a few different ones before deciding it's not for you. They could all have different hops, yeast, grain bills. It all comes together in the end.

Back