Using Roselaire in high-IBU wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinG

Reaction score
I've come across some leftover wort from an IPA batch and I have a spare pack of Roselaire blend in the fridge. I'd like to just pitch it into the IPA wort and forget about it for a while, but would this be worthwhile? I know the higher IBU of the base style will inhibit lacto activity, so I'm not really expecting it to turn out very sour (if at all, really), but I'd at least like something interesting.

Do you think Roselaire blend will produce an interesting (in a good way) beer from a high-IBU wort? I also don't know the IBU, which doesn't help, but I'm guessing it's way, way over the lacto threshold.

The bulk of the souring wouldn't be done by lacto anyway if your beer is over 4-5% ABV, it would be done by pedio, which should still work to a point.

I've come across some leftover wort from an IPA batch and I have a spare pack of Roselaire blend in the fridge. I'd like to just pitch it into the IPA wort and forget about it for a while, but would this be worthwhile? I know the higher IBU of the base style will inhibit lacto activity, so I'm not really expecting it to turn out very sour (if at all, really), but I'd at least like something interesting.

Do you think Roselaire blend will produce an interesting (in a good way) beer from a high-IBU wort? I also don't know the IBU, which doesn't help, but I'm guessing it's way, way over the lacto threshold.

I'm curious, how do you just come across left over wort? Did you freeze some from awhile back or preserving some new way?

The wort came from the final runnings of a larger brew session, which produced another 5 gallons of low-moderate OG wort (I'll measure it tomorrow when I pitch the yeast). I didn't brew this beer, so I don't have any of the stats on it—it was just going to go down the drain, so I figured I'd experiment with it.

So pediococcus does OK in high-IBU environments? Do you think it's reasonable to ferment this one at a slightly higher temp too, like 75F? I know brett works well at higher temps, but I don't know much about pedio.

As far as tasting good, I recently had Surrealist IPA by Green Bench brewing, and although it sounds awful (a sour IPA!), it was delicious. It definitely had more of a straight lacto taste than anything, but I'm digging the juxtaposition nonetheless.

i think you might have some problems with the hops inhibiting the bacterial growth. here's an idea (or a couple of them): 1) pitch brett b or trois into the ipa for funkiness. then 2) make a small volume of sour mashed beer and experiment with the blending of the ipa and sour to your taste.

Here's what I ended up doing, which leads to another question (if you couldn't tell already, I'm new to brewing "wild" beers):

The leftover wort was 1.020, so I added a pound each of wheat DME and Pilsner DME to bring it up to roughly 1.039. I did something pretty unconventional by not boiling the DME—I just mixed it in with the wort (not really worried about contamination here, and no hops, so no need to boil, right?).

I pitched the inflated smack pack of Roselaire at approximately 76F ambient. I had decent airlock activity within 24 hours, but within another 24 hours, it had mostly fizzled out.

Should I be concerned about this? I know Roselaire takes a long time to do its thing, but does it work relatively silently? It's in a plastic fermenter, so I'll have to take the lid off to check for a pellicle, but without doing that, does this sound like everything is pretty normal otherwise?

(Obviously non-normal circumstances notwithstanding)

sounds pretty normal to me. i think the initial activity was probably from the saccharomyces in the blend eating the simple sugars. now it's time for the brett, lacto, and pedio to do their business. good luck!

Thanks! By the way, the weather should be getting mild soon. Almost time to experiment with some Florida wild ales!

Back