Co2 leak... Have a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebbtide

Reaction score
Ok, so last night I poured a few pints from my Keezer and all was pushing well. Got off work a wee bit ago and went out to pour one and got nothing from the perlicks. Opened her up and gauge reads 0. I have a leak somewhere cause I only pushed 2 kegs off this tank.

Question is, will the beer in my kegs go bad/flat? I pulled the ring on the valve real quick just to see if any co2 remained and nothing hissed so I am bone dry. Will my beer go flat withing the 48 hours? I plan on getting my tank filled and gas back on her in the afternoon. Is this a lost cause? Man I am pissed, this was some good APA too. I'm new to brewing and kegging so I am a bit high strung over this. :confused:

Thanks for any insight.

Keep it cold. It should be fine if the beer was well carbonated when you ran out of CO2 and it's not the keg that's leaking.

Beer was extremely well carbonated. However there is zero gas sitting on the beer right now or in the keg. I am afraid it was the keg that leaked.

Thanks for the fast reply!

This happened to me as we'll. just close all the valves- you're biggest concern is oxygenation which isn't too common even if its a big leak in one of the kegs. Lost carbonation can be fixed. Once you get your CO2 filled again, open up all the valves and find the leak by spraying soapy water. Mine was in the CO2 manifold and fixed in 5 seconds.

You will be fine, Co2 is heavier than air and will act as a barrier between your beer. Go refill your tank and find that leak!

If you haven't had this issue before the culprit is probably one of the things that get undone the most often:

- the regulator nut/seal (this is the biggest one, and unless you have one that uses rubber orings it can be very difficult to get a good seal, also I notice when I put the tank/reg in the fridge the connection needs to be tightened again. I believe this was where I lost half a tank of CO2. Or maybe I didn't tighten it enough to begin with. I now refrigerate and re-tighten before turning on the gas after removing the regulator. I have the kind with a built in nylon seal. You really have to put some muscle into these ones.)
- the keg lid
- the keg posts
- if you use those screw off flange disconnects for your gas lines

I find it best to submerge everything but the regulator its self in a bucket of water. I use star san for whatever I can't submerge and hope the regulator its self and the keg lid/posts arn't the leaks. On the plus side if the liquid post is leaky it will probably be quite obvious :D

Ok, thanks for the replies fellas! So the beer is ok even tho there is no co2 on it? I figured it would be flat. I guess even tho flat and will re-absorb the gas fine and be ok, yes?

There is no O2 in your tank.
Ther is only beer and Co2.
You do not have Co2 under pressure, but you'd have to open it to get 'air' inside. It will be fine till you get new Co2, then it will re -carb.

No stress. As others have said just get it refilled and fix your leak. Leaks are the most frustrating thing in the world about kegging and fixing them can be a PITA. Once you're dialed in though, it's money

My regulator has a little shut-off valve near the gauge which I keep off after the beer is carbonated. The only leaks I have ever had have been from the keg, and this helps to stop the entire tank from draining.

Thanks a ton for the re-assuring, I appreciate it a bunch. Just got back with a full tank. I'll hook it up tonight and start spraying soapy water.

Back