2 five gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a newer ag brewer. My last batch didn't turn out and I fear it was due to sloppy cleaning/sanitizing practices. I need to brew up two batches this weekend and here is what I am tthinking. I want to brew 10 gallons of wort and break it up into two five gal batches. I am sure this is common but I want to make something my wife ( a new beer drinker) and I can enjoy separately.

So for her to enjoy it will need to be a bit lighter, I think I would like something a bit more bitter. Do you guys have any thoughts on two beer types that might do well to come out of the same grain profile but using different yeast and aging methods to get the end result I am looking for?

What do you like? Perhaps more important:
What does she like?

2 cents?

do a 60 min boil, not too hoppy, but nice aroma hops towards the last 10 min. that's hers...

Then boost alcohol a little with some extract, add more hops, boil another 30-40 min.

you can also use 2 different yeast strains. One for each batch.

Get your calculator out so you have your batch volume right towards the end...

A nice light AG beer to start with as a base for her is probably Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde found here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/.

I've brewed that and the ladies in the house loved it! Light and crisp. You could jack up the flavors a bit in your 5gallon depending on what you like. I'm sure it would take well to additions with further hops and/or alcohol jump.

I would recommend a nice SMASH APA.

Mash with 20lbs Marris Otter

Then hop each 5 gallon batch differently:

For hers: 0.5 oz Cascade @ 60, 0.5 oz Cascade @ 15, 0.5 oz Cascade @ 5 will leave her beer light and citrusy, slightly sweet from the Marris Otter.

For yours: 1.0 oz Northern Brewer @ 60, 0.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 15, 0.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 5 will leave yours more balanced with a more pronounced earthy citrus bitterness and nose.

I've made both of these, and both are very good!!

srmarcondes said:
What do you like? Perhaps more important:
What does she like?

2 cents?

do a 60 min boil, not too hoppy, but nice aroma hops towards the last 10 min. that's hers...

Then boost alcohol a little with some extract, add more hops, boil another 30-40 min.

you can also use 2 different yeast strains. One for each batch.

Get your calculator out so you have your batch volume right towards the end...

I think this is the right idea for what I would like to do. Do you guys think a Belgian ale or Belgian blond ale for the mrs. And perhaps a 90 minute or 100 minute apa is doable with some extract added to the apa?

TopherM said:
I would recommend a nice SMASH APA.

Mash with 20lbs Marris Otter

Then hop each 5 gallon batch differently:

For hers: 0.5 oz Cascade @ 60, 0.5 oz Cascade @ 15, 0.5 oz Cascade @ 5 will leave her beer light and citrusy, slightly sweet from the Marris Otter.

For yours: 1.0 oz Northern Brewer @ 60, 0.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 15, 0.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 5 will leave yours more balanced with a more pronounced earthy citrus bitterness and nose.

I've made both of these, and both are very good!!

Thank you for the tip!

perhaps it's doable, if you use say wlp500 and wlp001.... Maybe the grain profile won't be 100% accurate, but then it's your beer! add 1 lb of dark brown sugar to the Belgium Secundary also...

Mash in with your wifes recipe(and yours). Then seperate the wort, and start yours wifes boil and hop additions while in another brew pot add some steeping grains to yours batch and hold around 158 for 30 min then start your boil for yours.
You should be able to clean, chill and sanitize them one after the other with two totaly different beers
I will just make a large starter, so the base the yeast will be the same

Back