Refrigerate grains, hops ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kildarebrewer

Reaction score
Hi All
Getting ready to brew my very first brew. I actually got my Irish red ale brew kit in April. Should I have put all the ingredients (malt extract, grain, hops) in the fridge ?.I have them stored in our garage. Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Richie

I keep my hops(pelletized) in the freezer and yeast in the fridge. I don't think the grains or extract need to be in the fridge.

Just tossed them in the freezer. Now for one more stupid question, do I have to thaw them out , I assume not as they go into the boiling wort which should do the trick ? Yes
Again thanks for the info

The hops don't really freeze. They hardly have any moisture, so they're just cold. I put milled grain in the fridge if it's very warm or I'm not brewing soon. Ideally, I'll get the grain milled the week that I'm brewing.

I put all yeasts in the lil butter cubby on the fridge door. Hops in a zip lock freezer bag in the freezer top shelf. LME's in the fridge. All other dry ingredients in a duoble bag in the pantry.

I keep my hops and yeast in the beer fridge. I keep the grains in the house at room temp. That way I don't have to adjust my strike temp too much. I certainly wouldn't store LME in the fridge - room temp or even warm in the garage in summer should be fine for that as long as you don't leave it there all summer.

Hops: Freezer
Yeast: Refrigerator
Grain: Room Temperature
Extract: DME at Room Temperature / LME in the Refrigerator

I keep my hops and yeast in the beer fridge. I keep the grains in the house at room temp. That way I don't have to adjust my strike temp too much. I certainly wouldn't store LME in the fridge - room temp or even warm in the garage in summer should be fine for that as long as you don't leave it there all summer.

Keeping LME's in the fridge is actually the better way to go. It slows down the processes that make it go darker,etc. Keeping them warm isn't a smart thing to do. People think it's ok to store warm as long as it's sealed. But quite the opposite is often true. And hops keep fresher longer in the freezer without degredation.
So storing LME hot is def asking for degredation of flavor & color. Think of the heat as an excelerant. Cooling is the opposite.

Keeping LME's in the fridge is actually the better way to go. It slows down the processes that make it go darker,etc. Keeping them warm isn't a smart thing to do. People think it's ok to store warm as long as it's sealed. But quite the opposite is often true. And hops keep fresher longer in the freezer without degredation.
So storing LME hot is def asking for degredation of flavor & color. Think of the heat as an excelerant. Cooling is the opposite.

Good information, I didn't know that. I would, however let it come up to room temp (or more) before trying to get it out of the container!

Yeah,I take the yeast & LME out of the fridge when the water in the BK goes on to boil. Hops outta the freezer. Let all come up to room temp while water comes to a boil.

bobbrews said:
Hops: Freezer
Yeast: Refrigerator
Grain: Room Temperature
Extract: DME at Room Temperature / LME in the Refrigerator

This.

As a side note, I place lme in a warm water bath before it goes into the brew kettle to make it flow a little easier.

Back