How high to fill bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBONES

Reaction score
Illinois - Where our ex-governors make our license
I'm planning to bottle my first batch tomorrow. A wheat ale that spent 2 weeks in the primary and 1 week in the secondary. I will be using recycled Sam Adams bottles. I have a bottling bucket with wand. I assume I just fill them to about half way up the neck. Am I correct?

Thanks,
Dan

I usually shoot for about 1" of headspace.

With my wand, I fill it up to the very top of the bottle. When I pull the wand out, the level of the beer will drop to the right level. I would bet yours will do the same.

I just looked at one of my bottles. Halfway up the neck seems about right - maybe a tad more but not much more.

Edit: Didn't see you already had a wand.

I use the wand as well and I fill to the rim. When you pull the wand out the level will drop about 1 1/2 inches

I fill 'em to the brim and sometimes even a little goes over the sides. When you pull out the wand it will leave the 3/4" -1" of headspace that you want. Almost like they did it that way on purpose, go figure. ;0)

I fill 'em to the brim and sometimes even a little goes over the sides. When you pull out the wand it will leave the 3/4" -1" of headspace that you want. Almost like they did it that way on purpose, go figure. ;0)

yep, and put the bottle you are filling in a baking pan to keep the dribble contained.

yep, and put the bottle you are filling in a baking pan to keep the dribble contained.

I use a piece of tubing to connect my spigot to my bottling wand. I put the bottling bucket up on the counter, and fill my bottles on the by lining them up on the open dishwasher door. When I'm done, I stand up (I kneel to fill) and then put the bottles on the counter. Then, I just close the dishwasher to "clean up". It works great.

I use a piece of tubing to connect my spigot to my bottling wand. I put the bottling bucket up on the counter, and fill my bottles on the by lining them up on the open dishwasher door. When I'm done, I stand up (I kneel to fill) and then put the bottles on the counter. Then, I just close the dishwasher to "clean up". It works great.
+1 to this. I sanitize and bottle right from the dishwasher. Couldn't imagine a simpler way to bottle.

Back