How long does a 5lb CO2 tank last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i just started kegging a couple of weeks ago. I originaly had a single regulator with both the low pressure guage for the corny and a high pressure guage for the CO2 tank. I recently bought a 2nd regulator so i could carb one keg while tapping the other. When i installed the 2nd regulator i checked the set up with star san in a spray bottle and everything checked out ok. However, i am already out of CO2.

I carbed my first keg at 30 psi for 3 days and dispensed at 9 to 10 PSI. I started carbing my second keg and only got to 2 days at 30 psi and ran out.

Does all this seem fair for a 5lb cylinder? How many days or kegs do you guys get with yours?

Thanks for the help!!

Sounds like you have a leak. You should be able to carb up more than 2 kegs. Are you sure you started with a full tank? Also 2 days with a cold keg @ 30 psi should be sufficient to carb most beers.

Homebrewtalk Wiki should have a Forum FAQ section and this question should be on it.

Leaks can be frustrating to find sometimes. Just for reference, I usually get 5 kegs per tank in which I use the CO2 for force carbing, serving, cleaning/sanitizing lines in between kegs.

Thanks everyone. I am not sure about the tank beeing full when i first got it. The first day i got it i hooked it up to the regulator and the needle was barely above the red on the highpressure dial. I didn't think much of it becuase it was my first keg. I'll check again for leaks.

Probably wasn't full. When you start to drop pressure in a cylinder it goes fast. Mine which I keep in my kegerator is about 700 PSI if I recall correctly when full. It is halfway down the red now, so I'll soon need a refill.
I use mine only for dispensing and so far it has lasted more than a year. I carb my brews using a 20 pounder.

I had similar problems when I first got my kegerator. This is what I've found out. That high pressure dial is USELESS! Weigh your tank if you really want to see how much gas is in there. Also, make sure that when you take it to get it filled up that the tank is ice cold. Some people don't know this, but they guys at some shops won't tell you this and will charge you for a 5lb fill up. Think about it this way, gas expands when it's hot. If the tank is hot, the gas will expand and they won't be able to get a good fill on it. When I go to get my tank filled, I put it in an ice chest with ice packs around it. I take my ice chest into the store with me and take it out when they're ready to fill her up.

Just remember, the pressure gauge is damn near useless.
Weigh your tank if you really want to know how much you have left.
Keep your tank cold when you go to get it refilled.

Also, my kegs are a pain. I get leaks if I don't put the lid on with it pushed to the left. Oh yeah, make sure you have a regulator washer inbetween your tank and regulator. Those are very important.

Back