No Bottle Caps -- What should I Do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonkelley

Reaction score
When bottling this weekend, we ran out of caps. We had already moved octoberfest into the bottling bucket and primed with corn syrup. After we ran out we capped and sealed the remaining beer in the bottling bucket and put it back in the fridge. Any recommendations on what to do? We are getting more caps today and finishing off the batch; I just don't know if I have lost the whole thing. I am just looking for some knowledge here if you can help me out.

Well, it'll be fine, but don't bottle for a while now. You'll have to wait for all of the priming sugar you added to ferment out, and then reprime it. If you bottle it now, some of the priming sugar has already been fermented but you have no way of knowing how much, so you can have flat beer if much of the sugar has already fermented. If you add more without waiting, then you might have bottle bombs.

So, keep the beer at fermenting temperature. If it's a lager, that should be around 50 degrees, if an ale, at 68 degrees or so. Wait about a week or so, and then reprime and bottle.

run it into either 2l pop bottles, or fill a milk jug and keep it in the fridge. Keep an eye on the milk jug to release pressure as the beer will try to carb.

When you get more caps you will have to reprime the beer and fill the bottles, or keep it in the 2l pop bottles. I do some of those with the remainder from filling kegs.

wait so sunday you ran out of caps and put the bucket in the fridge @ 34~38f and today you are get more caps?
well i say just bottle it, at that temp and short amout of time you will be fine i dont think much has happond, did you use a secondary? If you did a good job of rackin and did not get any yeasty sediment, i dont think much has happoned in the fridge. just hurry up.

No, Saturday night around 10 we primed and started to bottle. Yes, we used secondary and put the bucket back in a fridge. Since both local brew stores were closed Sunday our plan was to continue to bottle tonight (Monday).

oh .... well thats diffrent, not that it matters but how much are we talking about?
is there any bubbles or foam on top of the beer?

still, if it went into the fridge straight away and this is ale yeast then I doubt the yeast could have used up too much of the sugar.

Absolute safest way is the way Yooper says, but I might do like Clayton and just bottle it now.

still, if it went into the fridge straight away and this is ale yeast then I doubt the yeast could have used up too much of the sugar.

Absolute safest way is the way Yooper says, but I might do like Clayton and just bottle it now.

That was our thinking, that the yeast wouldn't use up much of the sugar that quickly. It is a bavarian lager yeast though.

Back