Alternatives to flaked maize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

I am ready to brew tomorrow (wohoo!), however I am missing one ingredient: flaked maize.

I was wondering what I may buy instead.

At my local grocery store they have Kellogs Cornflakes, somebody suggested that I stay away from Cornflakes on these forums.

However, at a farmers shop near where I live I can buy Corn Pellets. You feed them to animals, and besically what they are are ground corn that has been compressed into pellets. And I get a decent price: 50lbs $10!!

- What do you think?
- Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Kind regards,
Marius Jonsson

Polenta would work but you need to cook it ahead of time.

Agreed, any cornmeal really, just make sure that that corn is the only ingredient listed. Boil it with plenty of water for 20-30 minutes, then add it to the mash. Alternatively you can do a cereal mash which involves a bit of extra work, but might get you slightly better extraction.

Sounds good, what are your thoughts on the corn pellets idea?

Thanks,
Marius

Don't use corn sugar, corn actually adds some flavor to your beer, corn sugar will not. If you can pick up "instant grits" at the grocery store, you can put them directly into the mash.

you can get flacked corn at the co-op or "farmer store" you can get a 50lbs sack for like 9 bucks but you will ahve to clean through it ,because there will be other stuff in there
like milo whole corn wheat or barley mabe a soy bean or 2 and a dash of sunflower seeds
but its not a big deal
i get all my flaked corn and barley at the Feed store. i also get whole barley for malting and makeing rosted barley i can make drystouts for pennys a glass, the cost of the hops in a 10 gal batch is more than the grain

bty flaked barley and corn from teh co-op has been steamed and rolled so it is geletinized and does not need a cereal mash first

Back