Immersion Chiller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMERICUS

Reaction score
Okay, so i built an immersion chiller the other day which I think turned out really well. I wrapped it around a mini keg that you can buy in the beer section and then wrapped the remaining tubing to form a large base / plate, figuring most of the heat is on the bottom of the kettle where the heat is applied.

Anyways, I brew in the kitchen so I was going hook it up to my faucet, but I am having problems connecting it. When I take off the aerator, I have the threads, but when I went to Menards and purchased a supply line, the threads do not fit. After combing the plumbing area, the threads are standard pipe threads, but my faucet's are much finer. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? I ended up purchasing a valve, splitter and supply line so I COULD tap in under the sink, but I really don't want to do this. I can't be the only one with this problem, I checked other faucets and a lot of the Moen's are the same thread pattern. Thanks.

After some reading all I found was going under the sink and creating a 'T' or someone mentioned using the sprayer. My sprayer doesn't stop the flow of water and is therefore limited and I would much rather attach to the faucet if I could...anyone, bueller?

Buy a sink to hose adapter and put garden hose fittings on it. Works great. Not sure if that answers your question though? You can get the adapters from most brew shops.

Here's the adapter you will need. This gets you from the fine threads on the faucet to garden hose thread:

NORTHERN BREWER: Wort Chillers

It's at the bottom of that catalog page.

#7233 Faucet Adapter $4.25

You should be able to find one at a local hardware store or plumbing supply house. They are fairly universal and will fit faucets with internal or external threads. I suggest buying two of them as you will surely misplace one sooner or later. I did.

Back