Pannepot Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gio

Reaction score
I've been working a pannepot clone. I'll probably brew it this weekend. Here is what I have so far (comments appreciated):

De Struise Pannepot Clone
OG: 1.100 (75% mash efficiency)
FG: 1.025
ABV: 10.0%
IBU: 27
EBC: 99

Malts:
13.5lb Belgian Pilsner
3.0lb CaraMunich
1.0lb Flaked Maize
0.40lb Carafa III
0.15lb Chocolate Malt
0.15lb Coffee Malt

Sugar:
2.0lb D2 Belgian Candi Syrup

Spices:
0.50oz Sweet Orange Peel
0.25oz Coriander
1tsp cinnamon
1/4tsp thyme

Hops:
5 AAU Bramling Cross (90min)
0.75oz Hallertauer MF

Yeast:
Safbrew T-58

Mash:
Enhanced decoction mash, 20min protein rest at 122, 60min rest at 156, mashout at 170.

Fermentation:
4-5 days at 75, 2 weeks at 62, rack to seconday, cold condition at 50 for 6 weeks, repitch yeast and bottle, after 2 weeks, continue to cold condition

This brew was a bit of a mess.

I cut the batch size down by 40% (3.3 gallons instead of 5.5) to accommodate the small size of my brew pot/mash tun. Still, I had nearly 11lbs of grain which is more than I've ever mashed before and probably more than I should have attempted. I hit the protein rest exactly on, but I had to add heat to hit the saccharification rest at 156. I was short on time, so I skipped the second decoction to mash out and added heat to get to mash out 170. Due to large amount of grain, I was only able to sparge in about a gallon of water. My efficiency suffered relative to my other decoction mashes (I usually get near 85%), and so my OG was only 1.090 and that was after adding and additional 0.8lb D2 candi syrup to compensate (it was only about 1.082 at first). Because of the additional sugar, I expect this to finish quite a bit dryer than 1.025 so the resulting ABV should still be near the target of 10%.

I used even more spices that I had originally planned: about 0.6oz of coriander before recipe adjustment. 0.2oz of cinnamon, and 3g of thyme. Pannepot is fairly strongly spiced, at least compared to other Belgians that claim to use spices (Ommegang abbey ale, Rochefort, etc). Although how much of that is due to the T-58 yeast and how much is due to added spices is unclear. The wort was definitely strongly spiced but tasted good.

The wort was much darker and with a stronger burnt flavor than I had expected, probably from all of the coffee, chocolate and carafa malt. A little of those malts definitely goes a long way. I don't think it is too dark though and the spices help to balance the dark flavor.

I used Carafa II, and CaraMunich III. The amounts of chocolate, coffee, carafa and crystal malt to use are the big unknowns in this recipe. I've seen clone recipes with amounts all over the place.

I hope to like this recipe and the T-58 yeast as it is so cheap and easy to use (no starter required). I pitched 2 packets in my 3.3 gallon batch. I pitched at 62 degrees which is far colder than I intended so I used a space heater to help warm it up. Fermentation began within hours and the temperature has already begun to rise not even 8 hours later (to 68-70).

BTW: Three Floyd's Makes a similar beer with T 58 that is just delicious. I had it at a 3F sampling dinner and don't recall what it was called. It sounds like they have a close relationship with De Struise.

Back