Looking for a new propane smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyHog

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to buy a new propane smoker for my restaurant. It's gotta hold 3 whole pork bellies and maintain temperatures well. Anyone have a recommendation?

I ended up buying a grillpro propane smoker. I now have four smokers and Its definitely my current favorite. I did some ribs on them and they were outstanding!

image-209437762.jpg

Bump.

I'm curious about one for home use. Is propane-fired sacrilege to smoke-folk?

it's pretty polarizing. Hell, some get all bent out of joint using something like a stoker or guru. I use propane to get my fire going, with a log starter. After it's lit, It gets turned off. I then usually move the propane tank to the brew rig.

Some will complain that you don't really practice the art of 'que. I can see their point, you don't really have to work your pit like you do with a stick burner. Then again, I'm building a "set it and forget" pit for the most part. But mine will still be charcoal fired.

it's pretty polarizing. Hell, some get all bent out of joint using something like a stoker or guru. I use propane to get my fire going, with a log starter. After it's lit, It gets turned off. I then usually move the propane tank to the brew rig.

Some will complain that you don't really practice the art of 'que. I can see their point, you don't really have to work your pit like you do with a stick burner. Then again, I'm building a "set it and forget" pit for the most part. But mine will still be charcoal fired.

Some of the older competitors I have cooked against ***** and moan all the time when I cook with my Spicewine insulated cooker with a Guru. They can stay up all night and tend their pit while I go to the motel and catch a good nights sleep at a contest. Even when we use our Lang 84 stick burner we get a good 6 or 7 hours sleep using a charcoal basket and 2 or 3 sticks. The old timers call it blasphemy, but I call it a good nights rest at a contest. You should hear these guys when someone uses an FEC100.

Who cares how you do it as long as the food is good. I have a propane one and i am happy. Just did a turkey for easter came out great. took no work at all brined it the day before and tossed it in set it at 225 and checked it 4 hours later added more chips and let it sit for anouther 3 hours.. let it rest. acted like a pig at dinner.. Super moist...

Some of the older competitors I have cooked against ***** and moan all the time when I cook with my Spicewine insulated cooker with a Guru. They can stay up all night and tend their pit while I go to the motel and catch a good nights sleep at a contest. Even when we use our Lang 84 stick burner we get a good 6 or 7 hours sleep using a charcoal basket and 2 or 3 sticks. The old timers call it blasphemy, but I call it a good nights rest at a contest. You should hear these guys when someone uses an FEC100.

I'm about to build a stumps clone with a stoker. Looking for that "good nights sleep" myself!

And I never said there was anything wrong with a propane smoker, just answering the question. If you get good 'que, that's all that matters!

Who cares how you do it as long as the food is good. I have a propane one and i am happy. Just did a turkey for easter came out great. took no work at all brined it the day before and tossed it in set it at 225 and checked it 4 hours later added more chips and let it sit for anouther 3 hours.. let it rest. acted like a pig at dinner.. Super moist...

I have absolutely no problem with anyone using a propane smoker at home. You use what you feel comfortable with. I cook bbq competitively and they do not allow propane smokers at contests. You must burn wood in the form of logs, charcoal or pellets.

From the KCBS website

Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters, provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced draft are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted, except at the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not be built on the ground.

Latest posts

Back