The Kegerator is Complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some Hasbeen

Reaction score
Alright, the Kegerator has actually been complete for a couple of weeks now, but I just never got around to taking pictures. Check out my gallery (link below) for pics.

showimage.php

A co-worker had the fridge in his basement for a while and was looking to get rid of it. I gladly took it off his hands. It was poop brown in color so I put a fresh coat of black spray paint on it. It is just tall enough to fit a corny and the hookups. Of course, it was only just tall enough after I cut out the plastic on the bottom. (Multiple curse words were used in this process.) You can see the rags wrapped around the bottom of the cornies that I'm currently using as insulation where the plastic used to be. I also had to cut out the side rack holders and the trays in the door as you can seen in one of the photos. The CO2 is behind the fridge and the line runs through the side. The fridge was cooled by the freezer tray on top. I cut out the pieces holding the freezer tray in place, took off all of the surrounding pieces and rerouted the cooling coils which are now flat against the back wall of the fridge (which actually produces a more evenly distrubuted cool). Finally, the tap I purchased on Ebay. It was in some bar in Pennsylvania and is pretty sweet. A drip tray is the last piece that I simply haven't got around to ordering yet.

Costs:

Fridge: Free (with lots of elbow grease and cuts to the hands in the conversion.)
Tap: $75 on Ebay (shipping included)
Kegs: $45 for 3 from brew site on the internet (shipping included)
CO2, lines, attachments: $100 from LHBS

Total: $220 (approximate)

The room it's located in is an inclosed patio attached to the back of our house. House was built in the 30's and the patio was added sometime in the 60's. It had industrial tile floors and ugly glass slot windows when we moved in. We had new windows put in and I recently put in the flooring, added a TV, a stereo, a couch and the kegerator making it MY room. My wife and 2 young daughters have gradually taken over the rest of the house so this was a necessity. Now, I sit in there, open the windows, watch the oldest play in the back yard all while enjoying My room and My beer. Life doesn't get any better.

Very nice. What kind of flooring is that? I need to replace the flooring in the kids' toyroom (a room that will someday be MY pooltable room) and that stuff looks nice. Nice kegerator BTW. And you can't beat a free fridge. :rockin:

ablrbrau said:
Very nice. What kind of flooring is that? I need to replace the flooring in the kids' toyroom (a room that will someday be MY pooltable room) and that stuff looks nice. Nice kegerator BTW. And you can't beat a free fridge. :rockin:

The flooring is a laminate tounge and groove I picked up at the local Home Depot. Very easy to install and I got it on clearance for 88 cents a square foot. The room is approx 9x16 and with the quarter-round the whole floor cost approx $200 and took approx 5 hours to install (3 1/2 hours for the initial planks and another 1 1/2 hours for the quarter-round).

I did a room in that same laminate about 5 years ago. It's darned sturdy stuff-- we have 2 60lb dogs and they haven't so much as scratched the stuff-- evne at the bottom of the stairs, where I expected to see issues.

The one place we've had issues: the dogs once knocked a water bowl down the stairs while we were at work. I now have 3 boards that need replacing as the laminate soaked up the water and is bistering. Standing water on laminate flooring is not good. Installation: I highly reccomend renting a finish nailer for putting in the half rounds. Cuts the time spent (and the frustration) down considerably.

On the kegerator front-- nice job. Looks very good when closed-- a little creative painting and the inside will look good too!

Looks nice! Good job!

What kind of paint did you use? Did you use a poly protectant so it is easier to clean?

My fridge is white and it is butt-ugly, I've been thinking of painting it black...LOL, maybe even blue to match the brewstand :p ...anyway...just curious what kind of paint you used.

Just used a simple gloss black spray paint. I taped the chrome parts on the fridge and sprayed the rest. I put a couple coats on and it cleans up very easily.

I do need to do some work on the inside of the fridge to make it look a little nicer and to help with insulation. Especially now that it's starting to warm up.

Back