Small beer, done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I made a small brown with a starting gravity of 1.040. I racked to secondary monday 8/4 and want to know if it will be finished sooner or should I just let it hang in secondary for the two weeks. It seems to be still fermenting at a snails pace (bubbles on top of brew) which makes me say that it won't hurt it to hang out.

I figure bottle it maybe next thursday with enough aging in time for Harvest time around here. Takes a lot of beer to make good wine!

You you have a hydrometer. If you racked to secondary it should of been done fermenting all the way. The secondary is just a bulk aging and clearing tank. No active fermentation should be taking place in the secondary. How long was it in primary? You could leave this in secondary for months and months and it will be fine.

+1

airlock will lie to you. a hydrometer won't (assuming you've calibrated it).

how long was it in primary? what's the gravity now? what was it when you racked???

Back