Purging over filled keg (no relief valve)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temple240

Reaction score
I'm completely new to kegging and I'm experiencing some growing pains. I foolishly over filled my keg and set it to 30psi for two days. I want to purge and set it to 12psi but beer sprays out the in post when I depress it (it has no relief valve). What happens if I don't purge? Should I try to pour beer out of the picnic tap to lower the volume?

Help!

i would think that if you turn down the regulator the beer will absorb the excess pressure without over carbing it so you don't have to waste beer.

^ If the gas line had a functional anti-backflow device (aka "check valve", which is not the same thing - but may be contained within - a shut-off valve) you could likely get away with lowering the CO2 pressure. Without a check-valve, however, you immediately risk having beer flow back up the gas line into the low-pressure side of the regulator body. Not good...

Cheers!

If beer spurts out of the in post when you press it, then I wouldn't turn down the regulator pressure. I've had beer backflow into the gas lines by doing that. Personally, I'd disconnect the gas and just pour foamy beers for a couple of days. Once the carb level gets close to what you want, set the regulator to serving pressure and you'll be good to go.

I have a taprite regulator that included a check valve so the regulator should be fine. I'll shut the gas off tonight and see if there's beer in the co2 line.

After setting the reg to 12psi I poured a bit of beer from the tap to relieve some pressure, and sample some beer. The pour was surprisingly smooth for all the pressure in the keg.

Back