Time for diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I have my lager ready for diacetyl rest. The problem is, it's not at my apartment and I won't get to it until late tomorrow. I have the chest freezer and lager at my girlfriends house. It's currently at 50 degrees. Is it OK if I have her turn the freezer completely off and open the lid? Will it end up warm enough for the diacetyl rest? Or should this be move this completely out?

hawkeyes said:
I have my lager ready for diacetyl rest. The problem is, it's not at my apartment and I won't get to it until late tomorrow. I have the chest freezer and lager at my girlfriends house. It's currently at 50 degrees. Is it OK if I have her turn the freezer completely off and open the lid? Will it end up warm enough for the diacetyl rest? Or should this be move this completely out?

My opinion? 60-65 degrees is plenty for a D rest. In fact, id taste a sample and if it isn't buttery, there's no need for a D rest.

[email protected]

I do a D-Rest on all my Lagers. I would leave the lid open and turn it off. Do the D-Rest for 1-2 days. That's what I do.

It will warm up enough with the power off and the lid open.

Won't hurt anything to do one; might save you a lot of heartache.

Latest posts

Back