time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, when I mentioned the krausen ring in the original hint, I was referring to the fact that I'm using the carboy as a primary, and that it was over-filled (by normal standards). The carboy is only 5 gallons, not the 6.5 that would normally be used for a primary. So... think about why I might do that.

Everybody's free to guess again :D

I feel like any beer is capable of that with the proper pitching rate. I'm going with an Amber Ale.

TomOliver said:
I feel like any beer is capable of that with the proper pitching rate. I'm going with an Amber Ale.

Has nothing to do with capability. The hint was clear that there was intent on a number of things...

I guess I'm not aware of a style in which you would want to get rid of the krausen more than usual. Either that or I'm REALLY not understanding the clue.

Haha, oh well.

TomOliver said:
I guess I'm not aware of a style in which you would want to get rid of the krausen more than usual. Either that or I'm REALLY not understanding the clue.

Haha, oh well.

Yeah, you're not :) But it's supposed to be thought about... I'll pretty much explain it at 6:00 EDT (1:15 from now).

Maybe I'm more unclear than I thought. Forget the krausen. The point is, a 5gal glass carboy is deliberately being used for a primary, and it was filled far more than a typical primary ought to be. Normally I would primary in a 6.5gal plastic bucket, but not this time.

Consider what reason I might have for doing so, and what style would probably have the most to benefit from it.

(Still giving the next clarification in 45 minutes)

Maybe I'm more unclear than I thought. Forget the krausen. The point is, a 5gal glass carboy is deliberately being used for a primary, and it was filled far more than a typical primary ought to be. Normally I would primary in a 6.5gal plastic bucket, but not this time.

Consider what reason I might have for doing so, and what style would probably have the most to benefit from it.

(Still giving the next clarification in 45 minutes)

You use fermcap in your fermentors and are showing off? :rockin:

Okay, this is gonna be a letdown, but I decided to make a fairly minor clarification!

I normally ferment in 6.5gal plastic buckets.

This time, I decided to ferment in a 5gal glass carboy.

I have 5gal plastic buckets, and I also have a 6.5gal glass carboy. So it's not just that I chose the 5gal carboy strictly because it's smaller, or strictly because it was glass instead of plastic. Both of the factors were important to me.

This must be an aspect of brewing that I'm not yet familiar with because it still doesn't tell me anything. I can see if you normally ferment in glass and you switched to plastic on purpose what you might be going for but I'm still at a loss.

Best of luck to everyone else.

For the sake of a backwards guess, I'll say a sour?

Can't really think of any reason for that aside from a lager that you want to have little headspace but don't feel like racking to a secondary :D

Or the fact that glass won't hold infections/bugs like plastic can.

Im guessing some sort of Brett or other wild ale. The barrel is a hint and you don't want those bugs entrenched in your plastic.

Reno_eNVy_446 said:
Can't really think of any reason for that aside from a lager that you want to have little headspace but don't feel like racking to a secondary :D

Okay... think of an ale where it's less what I don't feel like doing, and more how it's supposed to be.

A swing and a miss! (And was already guessed by someone a while back!)

Btw, if anybody needs me to justify some part of my hints after somebody finally gets this right, just let me know what you're unsure of.

BALLS! I looked to see if someone had before... I guess I must have skimmed over it. Now I need to wait for another hint..... *le sigh*

passedpawn said:

How can it be gueuze??? Gueuze shouldn't have ANY signs of krausen... it's a blend of straight lambics :)

Either way, the correct answer was already given. It's maxam's turn.

BTW, the bonus answer for what was in the barrel??? A bit of rum, actually. It's awaiting the addition of a coconut tropical stout to pick up some rum and slight oakiness. Afterwards, it will be repeatedly be soaked in a K Meta/citric acid solution to remove any remaining oakiness, at which point it will be dedicated to Flanders Reds.

passedpawn said:
Yes, I guess you're right, but I was just throwing it out there. It was the only sour not guessed :D (straight lambic was already guessed).

Ah, makes sense. I guess a certain amount of faith in the person whose turn it is, is required :D

Anyways, just to explain myself a bit.

Most of it came down to oxygen exposure. I used a glass carboy because it cannot be permeated by oxygen, unlike plastic buckets which are extremely permeable (which also would lead to a permanent infection afterwards, unlike glass). I used a really small one for similar reasons, to minimize headspace.

So how does this point to lambic? Because the above are reasons why a 5gal glass carboy is a popular choice for secondaries, but almost never primaries. They are only major concerns over extended periods of time, right? Thing is, lambic really needs to age for at least a year (this one will have 3 years), and secondaries are specifically not supposed to be used when fermenting lambic - the autolysis which one would normally avoid by racking is actually something you want to expose a lambic to.

So ultimately, it makes a ton of sense to choose what is normally an ideal secondary vessel instead of an ideal primary, because, while you deliberately don't want to rack off the yeast cake, it's also EXTREMELY important to minimize oxygen exposure, especially since the more oxygen a lambic is exposed to, the more acetic acid will be produced.

TomOliver said:
Where's that next picture?!

Maxam's turn. He has 24 hours from when he got the answer right. Not everybody can whip out a photo immediately.

If not, I'll choose somebody else, or something :)

Haha, fair enough. Guess I should have read the rules. I'm just chompin' at the bit!

Back