Brewing the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA clone today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did they change the recipe? According to the bottle I'm drinking right now, "What you have here is an Imperial India Pale Ale featuring a single, constant 90 minute hop addition. It's balanced by a ridiculous amount of English Two-Row Barley. Then we dry hop it in every tank". The recipe you guys are posting from BYO has pilsner malt and more than 1 type of hop. I'm very confused.

I dont think they mean a "single" hop, but a continuous hopping. It's misleading, at least thats my interpretation.

Im brewing this one right now and I used the wyeast smack pack, no starter. Lots of action for a few days and now barely anything. Wonder if the yeast was not enough for this high G beer? (I'm still new to the game so help out if you have tips)

I had the same thing happen to me. It was bubbling like crazy for about three days and now the top of the bucket isn't even swelling. Is this a sign that I needed more yeast? Because I definitely didn't use a starter like I should have.

Something that I should add.. the temperature climbed to almost 76 so I strapped an ice pack to the side of the bucket and cooled it down to 72. This wouldn't have caused the yeast to stop fermenting, would it?

Resurrecting this thread...

Going to try brewing this one on MLK day, and I also noticed that the IBUs don't add up right.

Even when making a substitution of Nugget hops for Warrior, I needed to up that and the Simcoe hops to 1oz each to get this up over 90 IBUs. Thinking I'll do that and see what happens.

In addition, I see a lot of variations on what people did for their mash schedule. Looking at the instructions for the BYO article, it appears to need the protein rest at 122 for 20 minutes. To hit a total mash volume of 1.25qt/lb, I'm thinking I will do 3.6 gallons there, then add 2.3 gallons at 200 to bring the grain bed up to 149 for 60 minutes. Then, batch sparge with 3 gallons of boiling water to hit 168. That should give me right around 7 gallons of wort pre-boil, hoping to avoid one of those "epic" brew days mentioned :)

Those of you who have made it, does that sound similar to your experience?

Hoping someone can help me with a few questions. Below is a recipe I found online, using extract.

(5 gallons/19L, all-grain) OG = 1.088 FG = 1.021 IBU = 90 SRM = 13 ABV - 8.7%

Ingredients
16.5 lbs. Pilsner malt
1.66 lbs. amber malt (35 *L)
16 AAU Amarillo hops (90-0 mins) (2.0 oz. of 8% alpha acids)
8.0 AAu Simcoe hops (90-0 mins) (0.62 oz. of 13% alpha acids)
8.0 AAU Warrior hops (90-0 mins) (0.53 oz. of 15% alpha acids)
1 oz. Amarillo hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz. Simcoe hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz. Warrior hops (dry hops)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread Ale) yeast
.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step Mash in at 122 F (50 C), then raise the temp. to 149 F (65 C) until conversion is complete. Mash out to 170 F (77 C). Boil the wort for 105 minutes. Starting with 90 minutes left in the boil, begin slowly and evenly adding hops to the kettle. (This works out to a little over .25 oz. of hops every 7.5 minutes.) Start fermentation at 71 F (22 C) and let raise to 74 F (23 C). Dry hop in secondary at 71 F for 3-5 days, then cool to 32 F (0 *C).

Extract Option: Replace Pilsner malt with 8.0 lbs. dried malt extract and 1.75 lbs. of Pilsner Malt. Steep crushed grains in 1.1 gallons (4 L) of water at 150 F (66 C) for 45 minutes. Follow the remaining instuctions in the all-grain recipe.

Thanks to Sam Calagione and Andy Tveekrem of Dogfish Head for their help in constructing this clone.
Brew Your Own Magazine - September 2004, Vol. 10, No. 5 "Attack of the Hop Clones", p. 39

These directions confuse the hell out of me being that I'm still a bit of a noob. So I'm hoping one if you folks can help me.
About the continuous hops addition, do I mix all the hops together and add .25 oz every 7.5 minutes? Or do I go down the list, first .25 amarillo every 7.5 minutes to the last .25 or the warrior?
Assuming I switch to the secondary after I get my FG reading (thanks to gspleen of reddit/r/homebrewing), do I dry hop right then and there? Also, what's the point of dropping the temp down to 32'F?

Did they change the recipe? According to the bottle I'm drinking right now, "What you have here is an Imperial India Pale Ale featuring a single, constant 90 minute hop addition. It's balanced by a ridiculous amount of English Two-Row Barley. Then we dry hop it in every tank". The recipe you guys are posting from BYO has pilsner malt

I was thinking the same thing reading through this thread. How can BYO say to use Pilsner when right on the front of the bottle it says they use English 2-row(most likely Marris Otter)?

I bought the BYO clone book a while back and I think I wasted my money on it. Most of the recipes in it are garbage like this. I'm sure they all make a great beer, but having Pilsner malt instead of English 2-row is a huge difference. They also list Cal ale yeast for the Lagunitas and Stone clones and they obviously use some kind of English strain.

I was thinking the same thing reading through this thread. How can BYO say to use Pilsner when right on the front of the bottle it says they use English 2-row(most likely Marris Otter)?

I bought the BYO clone book a while back and I think I wasted my money on it. Most of the recipes in it are garbage like this. I'm sure they all make a great beer, but having Pilsner malt instead of English 2-row is a huge difference. They also list Cal ale yeast for the Lagunitas and Stone clones and they obviously use some kind of English strain.

Umm I made the above recipe buy upping the hops to what looked right, like the others have/did. I used the pilsner malt Mashed at 153 and did the protein rest at 124. I subbed in Scottish ale yeast. The other thing I did was added in extra cascade hops with about 30 min left (I added hops every 7.5 minutes over 90 min) and dry hopped the same way.

It turned out FANTASTIC! It kinda taste like the 90min DFH but was not dead on. I would recommend the higher mash temp and scottish yeast.

The reason that the recipe is "off" in the BYO mag is because DFH uses a priprotory in house yeast. So they sat down with someone from DFH and they helped design the clone and it is close...

GL

he reason that the recipe is "off" in the BYO mag is because DFH uses a priprotory in house yeast. So they sat down with someone from DFH and they helped design the clone and it is close...

You would think that they would have at least used the English 2-row that is listed right on the bottle...

You would think that they would have at least used the English 2-row that is listed right on the bottle...

Not if the commercial yeast, that is available to the public, could not possibly ferment the 2-row and achieve the same flavor...this was what they talked about in the article. There is also color and other factors that weigh in as well.

I know how mine came out and I can say this; Take out the cascade that I added and I bet the recipe with changes I suggest gets you REALLY close (I have not bought a DFH90 min in months thanks to that recipe...)I will be brewing my version of this again.

I just have a really hard time believing that an all pilsner malt beer could taste anything like an all Marris Otter beer regardless of yeast.

has anyone tried replacing amarillo with citra or anything, just curious how that might turn out if anyone did this. Would love some feedback.

I got the recipe off of Austin Homebrew supply last year and brewed three batches using the same ingredients. All of them came out great! I'm putting my shopping list right now for another batch which should be ready about clam time :)

Hey guys, this is my first post here. Just brewed the partial mash version of this recipe on Sunday and it is currently bubbling away in the primary. The smell in my closet is amazing! Anyway, I will be sure to let you know how it all turned out and list my recipe when it's done.

found this by wondering what 'constant 90 minute hop addition' was while on the train. glad amtrak added this beer.

Normally, when brewing a beer you will add hops to the boil at the beginning, middle and end. With the DFH 90 minute, you are adding hops every few minutes.

Hops added at the beginning of the boil will add to the bitterness of the beer. Hops in the middle work toward the flavor and hops added at the very end are for aromas. When you are constantly adding hops throughout the duration of the entire boil, one sensation kind of blends with the next during the tasting process, I guess.

In any case, DFH 90 minute continues to be my favorite beer with Great Divide Fresh Hop Pale Ale and Pliny the Elder in a VERY close second and third.

Back