Badass President Centennial Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernlifeisANDY

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
11.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Kegged
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
See below.
5108553718_4e2d39b1da_o.jpg

centennialamber1.jpg

I am very satisfied with how this recipe turned out. I like working with citrusy hops like Centennial, and sticking to a single hop is certainly a great way to figure out that hop's flavor profile. I chose Centennial because I thought the citrus flavor would complement that bit of sweetness from the Crystal malt in an amber very well, and I'm glad I went that route. This beer has fantastic color, a nice golden orange (forgive the low-rez pic, SWMBO has the nice camera today - I'll update with a good pic later). It pours from the keg with about 1/2 in. of creamy off-white head that fades into a thin ring that laces all the way down. The cara-pils gives this brew a nice mouthfeel, a bit creamy and some great lasting sweetness on the back end. Aroma is like like if you grabbed a grapefruit and drizzled it with caramel sauce - delicious! Taste is nice, with a bit of hop bite and some nice play with the Crystal malts. Give it a whirl, it's a nice fall brew!

Badass President Centennial Amber

9 lbs. US 2-Row
1 lb. Crystal 60
0.5 lb. Crystal 40
0.5 lb. Cara-Pils/Dextrine

1 oz. Centennial (9.7% AA) 60 min.
0.5 oz. Centennial (9.7% AA) 15 min.
0.5 oz. Centennial (9.7% AA) 5 min.
0.5 oz. Centennial (9.7% AA) Dry hop in keg

1 package S-05, no starter needed.

I added a whirlfloc tablet at 15 min.

Mash at 151 for 60 minutes, then sparge to 6.5g for the boil.

Enjoy!

This sounds tasty and simple for a newbie like me, I think I'll give it try.

That label is awesome btw!

Love the name, the label, the description... I think I might even love you :)

Will brew this one sometime in summer, might even use your label if that is ok with you

Totally fine! Hope you enjoy it when you get around to it. I actually have another batch of this kegged at the moment, and it is just as refreshing when it's still 25 degrees out!

Brewing this on Sunday- your last recipe I made up was fantastic (Cascadian, I think) and I expect no less from this one! Kyle

Glad you liked the CDA, hopefully this one treats you just as well! In fact, I just kicked another keg of this last night!

Back