mounting fan to keezer lid...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Any reason not to do this? Would pushing warm air down just bring the cool air up?

I had my two twelve volt computer fans on the bottom of the keezer, but as I'm filling it up with kegs I now lack the room.

Thanks for the advice.

It would be far more efficient to bring the cold air up so it has to fall again. It works for something like a ceiling fan but also has a lot more surface area to push the air. Not sure if a PC fan would be big enough to create the draft you want.

I'm getting an in-line bilge fan and putting it in mine with a bit of ducting to bring the cold air up. They are pretty cheap though then you have to deal with getting them power. If you are already thinking of putting in a computer fan though you should be able to deal with that.

I've looked at those inline bilge fans. My concern is that they could generate heat.

Yeah I'm worried about that too but this is all trial and error fun for me anyway. :p

I figure on wiring it in behind the thermostat so it only runs when the compressor is on.

If your fan moves enough CFMs then a lid mount isn't a big deal. Since the keezer is a 'closed' system you'll be forcing the air down to mix into a consistent temperature and not just moving the cold out of the way. Mine is mounted on the lid and it works great to keep the whole inside at the same temp and not just cold at the bottom (which also helps keep the beer lines the same temp as the beer).
IMG_0691.jpg

Just be sure you have the spacers between the fan and the lid so it can create a bit of a circulation cycle. I leave mine on all the time, but I could easily wire it into the temp controller, but since the fan draws such little power I just leave it on.

Latest posts

Back