Goose Island Summertime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a Koslch, so any good Kolsch recipe will work. Here is one we just did for a swap. It turned out great. The key is to ferment from 55*F-60*F. Much warmer and the yeast will start to kick up some fruity esters. I did 3 weeks at 58*F, then let it warm to room temperature for 2 days. Then, I stuck it in a 40*F fridge for another 3 weeks. Since Kolsch is a hybrid yeast, it needs this lagering period.

Brew Type: All Grain
Style: Koelsch
Batch Size: 5.00
Boil Volume: 7.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.25 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 67.57 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 10.81 %

1.25 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 21.0 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.051 SG (1.044-1.050 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.007-1.011 SG)
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM (3.5-5.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 24.1 IBU (20.0-30.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.05 %

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Light Body
Mash Grain Weight: 9.25 lb

Thanks! Nice avatar by the way, I have tickets to all four nights at Red Rocks.

Did you stick the secondary in the fridge, or did you bottle it and then transfer to the fridge? Thanks again.

I didn't have a secondary open, so I just stuck the primary in the fridge. It wouldn't hurt to transfer to a secondary though.

I was at Hampton. Dont think I'm going to make any summer dates though.

From the web site:
The color of sunshine, with a light fruity aroma and a hint of fruity acidity, Goose Island Summertime is the perfect summer session ale. A Kölsch beer brewed in the traditional German fashion, you’ll find yourself enjoying and savoring each sip of summertime as muchas you do those hot summer days and cool summer nights.

Recipe Information:
Style: German Style Kölsch
Alcohol by Volume: 4.7%
International Bitterness Units: 20
Color: Sunshine
Hops: Mt. Hood, Saaz
Malt: 2 Row, Wheat

So try:
7# pilsner 2 row
2# wheat malt
1 oz mt hood 60 min
.5oz sazz 15 min
.5oz sazz 0 min
kolsch yeast

I would shoot for 150 mash and maybe 60 to 65 temp for ferm temp...any thoughts?? this is low 20 IBU and 3.6 SRM so low on this but a bit of color can be added. the fruitiness is from a bit higher ferm temp..The beer is crisp and clean but some fruitiness is present...the ABV is about 4.6 on my software program...this is close to what I do for my kolsch..

Jay

Just to bump this thread, BYO had a recipe for Summertime in the July/August 09 issue.

Run to your LHBS and pick up a copy! :D

pretty please? :)

i just spoke with who i think was a distributor at a beer tasting, he said they use Czeck Saaz and cascade.

BYO's Goose Island Summertime Kolsch

5 gallons/19 L
OG = 1.046 FG = 1.010
IBU = 18 SRM = 4.5 ABV = 4.7%

Ingredients
7 lb 11 oz (3.5 kg) 2-row pale malt (1.9 °L)
1 lb 15 oz (.87 kg) wheat malt (2.5 °L)
2.0 AAU Mt. Hood hops (60 mins) (0.4 oz/11g of 5% alpha acids)
3.0 AAU Czech Saaz hops (15 mins) (0.75 oz/21 g of 4% alpha acids)
2.5 AAU Mt. Hood hops (15 mins) (0.5 oz/14 g of 5% alpha acids)

Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch) or White Labs WLP029 (German Ale/Kolsch)

Mash at 145°F for 40 minutes, 152° for 45 minutes, and 170° for 10 minutes. Mash pH 5.4 - 5.5. Boil for 60 minutes. Aerate to 8 ppm O2. Pitch rate = 20 million cells per mL.
Ferment at 56-58°F.

(Note: Goose Island adds the final two hop additions in the whirlpool.)

Just posting a heads up on the Wyeast 2565. Keep that fermentation temp down! I fermented at 65-67 in my basement and didn't lager (first beer) and got a lot of the sour apple flavors.

Thanks Egghead!

altho, i don't quite understand the whirlpool comment.

I whirlpool after cooling the wort.

Whirlpool in a big brewery is basically the same idea as at our level. Get the wort moving in a circular fashion to collect trub in the middle of the vessel prior to cooling or during cooling.

I imagine they whirlpool before chilling because chances are they have a massive plate chiller for batches this size and would want to have any trub they could out of wort before it gets stuck in the chiller.

Back