Love Controller Question (embarrassingly basic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyslaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I got my love ts 13010, but it wasn't exactly what I expected when I opened it and I'm not exactly sure what to do now.

I guess I thought it was going to have a male end that plugs into the wall and a female end that goes to the freezer. Instead its got some electrical diagram and a bunch of spots to stick wires in. I found a bunch of posts on here about which wires go where and what the diagram means, so I think I can work from those. But my problem is even more simple....

How the hell do I plug this thing in? Do I just find an old AC power cord and cut the cord, then stick the wires where they belong according to the diagram? Then cut the male end off the freezer power cord and stick the wires into the correct ports on the love controller?

Thanks!

A common method is to mount the controller in a box with an outlet. Cut the end off an extension cord and wire it to the controller so it can be plugged in. The hot is jumped to the normally open compressor contact on the controller and the switched wire feeds to the outlet. The neutral is jumped straight from the box to the neutral on the outlet. Your fridge is then plugged in the outlet so you don't have to cut the power cord on the fridge.

This is about worthless without a diagram but if you do a search they're there.

The use of the word "common" is wrong, and could lead to serious trouble. The Black "hot" conductor from the plug end of the cord should be connected to number 7 (L1) terminal, and jumped to the Common terminal of the relay, number 10. The white (N) conductors from both the plug and outlet ends go to terminal 8. The white is properly called Neutral, not common. Lastly, the black conductor from the outlet end connects to terminal 11, which is the NO side of the relay.
(terminal numbers from Love's online manual)

Ok, so if I cutt of the extension cord I can get the power. Then I need to get a regular electrical socket that would plug into a wall and stick the wires that come with that into the controller? Then stick all this in one of those plastic project boxes?

You can put the controller in a project box, that will help keep things neat and safe. But you DON'T need aseparate receptacle or outlet (what you called a socket). The extension cord already has a receptacle on the end. You could just Just use that. Keep it simple, keep it safe. And be sure that you ONLY plug this into a GFCI receptacle. If you don't have one, get an electrician or a buddy who is competent to install one.

Back