Blonde Ale - Crazy fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstcstwil

Reaction score
So I brewed a blonde ale kit that I had been waiting on during the northeast snow storm yesterday. This was only my fourth home brew experience and I felt great about all my sanitation and procedure. I pitched my yeast about half an hour before and aerated my wort nicely.

Then about six hours later my fermenter started going crazy, blowing off my airlock. I quickly inserted a blowoff hose but there was quite a mess. Now this morning (about 12 hours later) the airlock is doing nothing and I am kinda concerned. This is totally different than the fermentation experiences that I have had. Is this normal for a blonde?

Not done, but since it's only a blonde, it's probably mostly done lol. No worries man.

Yep, no cause for alarm. When you have a rapid and active fermentation like that, especially in warmer temps, it isn't uncommon to see the active fermentation stage come and go overnight. Leave it alone and let the yest do the rest of their work and you should be fine in a week or two.

I am not sure about the OG, but temp is about in my place at brew time was about 67-68 degrees. The yeast was from this kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/blonde-ale.html

I believe it was Safbrew T-58.

Temp in the fermenter right now is 73 though.

Two other things to note is that I added the yeast to the wort and aerated when it was about 95 degrees. And i used starsan so there was a lot of foam already in there with the wort.

Two other things to note is that I added the yeast to the wort and aerated when it was about 95 degrees.

Yikes! That would explain the rapid and explosive fermentation. Although it's just as surprising that the extremely high temps didn't kill the yeast. The fact that you actually got fermentation is good, but don't get discouraged if your end result isn't the most tasty beer you've ever tried.

In the future you should really try to get it down to 70 or even lower if you can before pitching the yeast.

Well that will do it. I guess my over confidence after a few batches got to me. Well I will let this one sit for 3-4 weeks before bottling. Maybe it will even clean itself up.

Yeah, definitely give it some extra time. You will have created a lot of esters to be certain, but given enough time you will hopefully be left with something that is still pretty good.

The guy at Midwest recommended I buy a new packet of yeast and throw it in there. Any danger in doing that?

Why? The yeast have done their thing. There isn't any danger, but it wont really help your beer. Extra yeast wont clean up any off flavors. Just throwing a few bucks in the fermentor

Why? The yeast have done their thing. There isn't any danger, but it wont really help your beer. Extra yeast wont clean up any off flavors. Just throwing a few bucks in the fermentor

Yep. Don't buy new yeast. Airlock activity is not an insight into fermentation.

Back