I've got apfelwein in my airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakersbrew

Reaction score
so i just started my first batch of apfelwein. i think i filled the better bottle too full because there is a mixture of apple juice and vodka in the airlock. this stuff is bubbling like crazy.

what should i do about the airlock. i have never had a fermentation vigorous enough to have anything shoot into the airlock. do i need to change the airlock or can i leave it as is?

Pour the contents of the air lock in a glass, clean, sanitize, refill and replace Air lock, then drink contents of the glass, ?

but yes you should clear out that airlock, pull the airlock off and place a bit of plastic wrap over the hole until you get the airlock clean !

-Jason

+1 for Cheeto's suggestion.

What kind of yeast did you use? My apfelwein fermentations have been pretty tame with the Montrachet (sp?) yeast.

He either filled up the carboy too much or did not use Montrachet, or both.

Here you can see how full I fill mine. The foam in the middle is Starsan as they have not yet started to ferment.

15GallonsApfelwein.jpg

I fill the carboy all the way to the neck and I have used several types of yeast including Notty . Never gets in the airlock

Last edited by a moderator:
i used the montrachet. but i filled it about as full as you fill it ed. i also replaced the airlock last night and this morning it was filled again. why is my fermentation so intense? no one has ever experienced this with apfelwein?

68 degrees. it is in my fermentation fridge. no yeast nutrient. just pitched right onto the apple juice. i followed your directions exactly. except i used matrinellis 100% apple juice. it was the best apple juice option where i live. no one has ever experienced this?

by the way...thanks for helping me out ed. just made your haus pale ale. it was my first AG. its fantastic

I have 2 batches going.. both filled the airlock the first night. Cleaned them up and they have been fine ever since.

Just made this same thing with Cotes de Blancs... it's fermenting like crazy, but no krausen. It's been so much fun to watch. The only problem is that my apartment now smells like butt... this has been the worst smelling stuff I have made.

:off:
i just added 10oz of wine conditioner to my fifth 5 gallon batch and it sweetened it up perfectly. Everyone I let try it loves it much better than being dry. It just adds a touch of sweetness nothing drastic! I highly reccomend u try this, u will love it.

:off:
i just added 10oz of wine conditioner to my fifth 5 gallon batch and it sweetened it up perfectly. Everyone I let try it loves it much better than being dry. It just adds a touch of sweetness nothing drastic! I highly reccomend u try this, u will love it.

How about a Product link ?

-Jason

so has anyone figured out how that could happen using the monty yeast? After three batches of apfelwein it seems really odd to me, I've barely ever seen bubbles.

Back