Flameout hop addition adds IBUs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For you guys using software such as BeerSmith (the one I am using) to calculate your brews, if you plan a hop addition at flameout, do you put 0 minutes in for the boil time or say 5 minutes since the wort will still technically still be boiling from when you add them until you cool it below the boiling point?

The extraction rate for bittering drops very fast with temperature, so if you are using any kind of active cooling the IBUs are 0.

I find dry hopping verses 0 minute addition produce nearly identical results...I don't calculate bitterness with anything less than 10 minutes.

I find dry hopping verses 0 minute addition produce nearly identical results...I don't calculate bitterness with anything less than 10 minutes.

The heat from the flame out addition does a much better job of extracting oil, but drives off some of the aroma compounds, that are also going to get driven off during fermentation. I have found that flame out additions give me a great hop flavor and subtle aroma, while dry hopping gives a fresh hop, slightly "green" flavor, and a ton of fresh hop aroma.

Also, not calculating bitterness for anything under 10 could really be hurting your recipes. Hops can have up to 50% of their AAs isomerized within the first 15 minutes. My IPA gets 25 IBUs from the last 15 minutes, and 8 of those come from the 10 minute addition, so not accounting for it would completely throw off the balance of the recipe. But, as soon as the wort stops boiling, you are extracting very little bitterness, so I don't add anything for flame-out additions, although some commercial breweries do.

Back