Back in the saddle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I NEED to brew again. It's been 7 months! I'm at a standstill with the backyard projects until some parts arrive, so I decided that I'm going to get up and brew tomorrow! Since I don't have the brew rig completely set up, I'm going to do a very simple 6 gallon recipe, single infusion mash, and my first ever batch sparge.

The recipe is VERY loosely based on Ed's Haus Pale. I'm pulling the ingredients from stuff already on hand.

8 lbs 2-row
1 lb Biscuit
1/2 lb Caramunich
1 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Amarillo (30 mins)
.25 oz Amarillo (15 mins)
.25 oz Amarillo (5 mins)
Whirfloc
US-05

Sweet jebus! I would never thought you to put off brewing!

I brewed this today- little to no color

Batch size: 5.0 gallons

63% 7 lb American Six-row Pale 33 1
18% 2lb Rye Malt 30 2
9% 1lb Flaked Corn (Maize) 40 1
9% 1lb American White Wheat 39 2

hops
60 1oz Cascade pellet
10 1oz Summit pellet

Original Gravity
1.051 (1.046 to 1.053)
Final Gravity
1.012 (1.011 to 1.013)
Color
3° SRM
(Yellow)
Mash Efficiency
cancel
70% edit

Hit my numbers like a champ!

I've been in limbo/transit since late Feb, so my last batch was the 8-8-8. It's time to brew again!

Mike, looks like a nice, simple rye pale.

Oh thats right- you had a PCS right?

Ive been working my ass off at work too. Hopefully and the commander has kinda hinted at it, I will make MSgt in Feb.

Yuri_Rage - It is time to start filling the pipeline, home projects can take ohh. half the day, brewing MUST come first. Otherwise where is your motivation?

MikeFlynn74 - Congratulations, and thank you.

Finally all doughed in, strike temp is good. Brewing on the very small back porch. You can see the very modest beginnings of a rather large deck in the background. Final recipe is exactly as listed above except that I'm using 1/2 oz of Warrior at 60 mins so I can save a little of my Amarillo stash. Should be a nice evening.

first_tx_brew.jpg

It's always nice to get the fever again eh? I haven't brewed in a while either as the temps have been too hot (I brew indoors).

Welcome back to the obsession.

Next time, do a Mogulus stream. It's what all the kids are up to these days :)

Congratulations on your new place Yuri
I am sure you have been busy.
It's nice seeing you use the kiss principal to compliment the overkill nature :)

Cheers
BeerCanuck

I've got two bags sitting in the freezer. A few more batts of insulation and some drywall in the brewery & I'll be clear to brew.

Congrats on a day that was well deserved!

On another note...as a moderator isn't there some unwritten rule that you must brew more often? :D

:tank:

Back