Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this yesterday, and I cannot wait to taste it. The smell was amazing, and the color is beautiful. My sg was 1.060, and my lhbs didn't have wlp001, so I went with wlp004 Irish ale. Keep you posted!

image-1085133739.jpg

Well, I just tossed it in a keg and bottled some as well. Naturally carbing it with a beet sugar (Teavana type), as I wanted to have more of a maltier finish on it. It doesn't have the beautiful red/burgundy hue to it, but the taste, even flat and warm is pretty nice. Roasty, almost stout characteristics with a nice medium body.

I brewed this yesterday, and I cannot wait to taste it. The smell was amazing, and the color is beautiful. My sg was 1.060, and my lhbs didn't have wlp001, so I went with wlp004 Irish ale. Keep you posted!

any clean fermenting yeast works great.. west coast ale... english ale..irish ale.. and I always keep a packet or 2 of US05 on hand.. that works great as well

Well, I just tossed it in a keg and bottled some as well. Naturally carbing it with a beet sugar (Teavana type), as I wanted to have more of a maltier finish on it. It doesn't have the beautiful red/burgundy hue to it, but the taste, even flat and warm is pretty nice. Roasty, almost stout characteristics with a nice medium body.

get a light behind it.. then the colors will come through...

Mine didn't until about 5 days after carbonating and pouring. It was the cloudiest ever in the beginning, then cleared up to that beautiful red.

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe, accidentally added 3lbs of honey instead of 2. Still a tiny bit cloudy but :drunk:

This was my 3rd batch ever!

ForumRunner_20130402_145823.jpg

This is my version of the Irish Red. Very drinkable. Followed the op to the "T". Great recipe. This will go into the rotation.

image-2262999075.jpg

Seems a little darker than most. Hmmm?

yep, gelatin works wonders. As does Biofine Clear. Of course, it also clears nicely if cold conditioned for an extended time... like that would ever happen :D

mpride1911 said:
Mine didn't until about 5 days after carbonating and pouring. It was the cloudiest ever in the beginning, then cleared up to that beautiful red.

Sweet. I guess I will test that in about 2 weeks!

yep, gelatin works wonders. As does Biofine Clear. Of course, it also clears nicely if cold conditioned for an extended time... like that would ever happen :D

Heh, speak for yourself. I brewed a 15 gallon batch............

All I have to say is, WOW, I tasted my sample while racking into a keg to condition ( I need to free up a fermenter), and it was very damn tasty! I can't wait to taste this in 2 weeks. Will post some updates!

Still loving this beer...going to have to make another 10 gallon batch soon. I even got my father in law to want a second glass last night. He normally doesn't wants to try any of the beers, because they aren't Busch Light. We are going to have a bunch of people over and my wife wants me to take it off tap, so they don't drink it all. It's her fav. Thanks again for the recipe.

Still loving this beer...going to have to make another 10 gallon batch soon. I even got my father in law to want a second glass last night. He normally doesn't wants to try any of the beers, because they aren't Busch Light. We are going to have a bunch of people over and my wife wants me to take it off tap, so they don't drink it all. It's her fav. Thanks again for the recipe.

then ya better take it off tap... remember. Happy Wife, Happy Life

^ Believe me I know. She doesn't realize however that I have another 5 gallons of it ready sitting in a secondary just waiting for a space to open up in the kegerator.

Just tapped this keg last night, and damn! So freaking delicious. I will definitely be making this again. Thank a lot for a killer recipe!

Never Done an Irish Red, anything I need to watch for??

I will def use this recipe, thanks for sharing.
Will convince Fiancee that this is our next Brew!

Never Done an Irish Red, anything I need to watch for??

I will def use this recipe, thanks for sharing.
Will convince Fiancee that this is our next Brew!

things to watch for...well.. I'd have to say making sure you never run out is something to watch out for :)

seriously though this is a straight forward beer.. no hidden things or steps.. just brew and enjoy

@MM...... Thanks, sounds easy. (we did an all grain Pumkin ale that i wasn't very impressed with originally, we had a few bottles left, i guessed they were aged around 15months, and now are awesome)
This coming wkend will be our 3rd brew wkend in a row, plus bottling a 'Honey Brown Ale'

So yep were trying to keep the brews a flowing!!
: )

Please excuse my ignorance ... but you add the Honey Malt after the hops at 0 mins and then put into primary or filter the malt out with the hops?

I just used regular clover honey from Walmart at the end of the boil. It dissolves and then is part of he wort.

Please excuse my ignorance ... but you add the Honey Malt after the hops at 0 mins and then put into primary or filter the malt out with the hops?

Honey MALT is a type of grain, it imparts a sweeter flavor into the beer, OP used actual honey. The difference here is that a lot of the time the honey gets eaten up by the yeast as it is sugar and therefore ends up contributing more to ABV rather than really adding to flavor.

What has been posted as an alternative idea was using honey malt for the honey/sweeter flavor and then to keep with the boost in ABV adding brown sugar at about 5 minutes before flameout (or end of boil).

If you decide to use the honey MALT, just add it into your other grains. I did it with the honey malt and the result was awesome. In NO way saying adding the honey ISN'T a good choice, that was merely my personal mod to this recipe, which is an AMAZING one.

This beer didn't last more than a week once it was carbed.

exactly.. the honey in my recipe is simply there as an easy boost to the ABV. if you want a little sweeter beer then please by all means use the honey malt. Both ways make a great beer (yep, I tried the honey malt too). Either way you will get a beer that is a deep red in color, with a roasty flavor that is balanced but malty.. like others have said, it won't last long.

Either way you will get a beer that is a deep red in color, with a roasty flavor that is balanced but malty.. like others have said, it won't last long.

The color is amazing. If you want to make a beer that will blow your non-beer making friends away from the moment you pour it, this thing has merit on looks alone....

My wife LOVES this beer. Had a couple of buddies over last night and they think this is the best one I've ever made. Making another 10 gallons this afternoon. It looks like its going to be one of the beers I keep on tap year round. Thanks again for this recipe.

My wife LOVES this beer. Had a couple of buddies over last night and they think this is the best one I've ever made. Making another 10 gallons this afternoon. It looks like its going to be one of the beers I keep on tap year round. Thanks again for this recipe.

Happy wife happy life... keep it in the rotation

Back