Bottle vs Kegging? The good with the bad...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmc52

Reaction score
Just trying to figure out what the majority of us do. Bottle only or keg only or both? If keg only what is the preferred method of sharing/traveling? How do you overcome having to bring a 5 ga keg with you to your buddies house? Do you bottle out of the keg? What type bottles do you use (12oz 16oz Growlers?).

I keg and bottle a little of each batch but am curious if there is a better way since bottling from a keg doesnt really produce great results (unless there is a tip that I am missing) for me.

Please share.

Keg. Nearly exclusively.
As for sharing, mostly I say come on over. Sit at the bar and drink good draft beer.

I don't have to drive, I don't have anyone wanting me to drink cheap beer.

Keg almost every batch now, and bottle from the tap whenever I need to take some out of the house or want to age in bottles, or free a tap up. I also have a portable kegging setup with a 2.5G keg and a small co2 bottle that fit in a cooler. This works well too but only worthwhile if there's going to be 2+ gallons of beer getting drunk!

I keg. If I'm going somewhere, I'll fill a couple of growlers. If I need more than a couple of growlers, I'll take a small 3 gallon keg. If I need more than that, I take a 5 gallon keg. I have some "co2 gun" dispensers for kegs on the road. But usually, it's just a couple of growlers.

I will say that I still hate to throw bottles away, even though I would only use them for something that is supposed to age for an extended time, and I haven't brewed any barleywine yet so I haven't needed them in a while.

I keg. If I'm going somewhere, I'll fill a couple of growlers. If I need more than a couple of growlers, I'll take a small 3 gallon keg. If I need more than that, I take a 5 gallon keg. I have some "co2 gun" dispensers for kegs on the road. But usually, it's just a couple of growlers.

Same here. The only thing I bottle is Apfelwein. Matter of fact, I'm getting low on Apfelwein, but I'm to lazy to make and bottle another batch..

Latest posts

Back