What sort of maniac puts a carboy brush in a better bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
Bought some (cheap) used better bottles - they've been brushed. Why, oh why, would anyone do that?

As a related aside, has anyone ever personally experienced an infected beer due to scratched plastic fermentation vessel?

I dont own any better bottles. Out of curiosity, what are you supposed to use to clean them with?

I dont own any better bottles. Out of curiosity, what are you supposed to use to clean them with?

Most people I've seen toss a rag in with some Oxyclean and swirl it around. Works pretty well. There's a few Youtube videos floating around of that.

I use a brush on my better bottle and haven't had any issues with infections. I have fermented about 10 beers in that better bottle so far.

Another vote for Oxi-clean. I used it to clean red wine out of a glass carboy once and I was surprised at how well it worked. I don't think we had a brush, so we just threw in a couple scoops of Oxi-clean and filled it to the brim with water and after a couple hours, the stains (little dried-on drops of red wine) just released and floated to the top.

We had tried a little bit of soap and water, and shaking it around, then bleach and water shaken around, and they didn't remove any of the stains. The Oxi-clean was a last resort, but worked great.

(One may consider it a waste of 5 or 6 gallons of water to fill a carboy full just to soak it, but if you're trying to save a dirty one it's worth a shot).

Before I knew any better I did it a few times. Now if Oxyclean wont get the krausen ring off I take the brush and put a heavy sock over it. It seems to work great and without scratching. I haven't had any infection issues...although I can't see any visible scratches.

What's up Al? (James from VIBE here)

PBW is awesome for BB. More expensive than Oxi but my bottles come out squeaky clean without any agitation or scrubbing.

i use a brush on my better bottles all the time but i've never noticed that they are scratched. all of my buckets have scratches and i ferment sour beers in all of them - never had an infection in 2 yrs of brewing. i use the same auto siphon and bottling bucket for my pale ale as i do for my flanders red too, no problems. i think big breweries have to worry more since they have many more surfaces to worry about, i can sanitize my brewery pretty thoroughly in short order.

I have 4 better bottles and always fill with water and oxiclean and let sit for one to two days. Rinse out thoroughly and air dry. Super easy, super clean.

Oxyclean soak, rinse, rinse some more, Hot water and a washcloth and some swirling, rinse some more - done. If using a carboy brush, just do it carefully. I used one twice, the washcloth is easier.

No infections in about 28 batches.

I've not found a need for a brush. I usually mix up a couple gallons of PBW solution (using 3/4 oz per gallon, I think) and soak / vigorously shake it. Usually after less than an hour, the last krauseny bits have relented and it's crystal clear. I don't usually go past 3-4 weeks in primary, though, and many times I rack off after a week or two, so the krausen doesn't have all that much time to harden. In one case I had to soak/shake for a couple days before the last bits came clear, but the PBW was victorious in the end. If you're doing longer primaries, you may have more problems.

To avoid needing to completely fill the fermenter with throw-away cleaning solution, I usually only make a couple gallons. The only place that ever needs soaking is the top part where the krausen dries on, so I just pour in the solution, firmly plug the bottle shut, and flip it upside down over the sink or over a bucket in the garage. This saves both water and PBW (not such an issue if you're using Oxy Clean I suppose).

Before I knew any better I did it a few times. Now if Oxyclean wont get the krausen ring off I take the brush and put a heavy sock over it. It seems to work great and without scratching. I haven't had any infection issues...although I can't see any visible scratches.

If oxyclean doesn't get the ring off I just shake the living **** out of it.

Might oxyclean again if it doesn't come off, but it always does with a proper soak and shaking.

I've started to do a quick soak after the oxyclean with a vinegar or starsan solution (something acidic) to ensure any residue is removed.

What's up Al? (James from VIBE here)

PBW is awesome for BB. More expensive than Oxi but my bottles come out squeaky clean without any agitation or scrubbing.

Yep, I second that. Have one soaking right now with PBW, no scrubbing needed...soak overnight and they're good to go. I have also used a weak bleach solution but I don't soak long if I use this on the BB's (couple hours, maybe) - worried about potential pitting or off flavors in the plastic.

I usually fill mine with water, let that soak a day and then soak in PBW and hot water (2 tablespoons PBW in six gallons) and just let that sit for a day and rinse. It almost always comes clean. Once in a while I'll have to do a second soak in PBW.

Bought some (cheap) used better bottles - they've been brushed. Why, oh why, would anyone do that?

As a related aside, has anyone ever personally experienced an infected beer due to scratched plastic fermentation vessel?

The same sort of maniac taht would buy the used carboy brushed fermenters despite being weary of scratched plastics.

I just soak in oxy. However, my first homebrew kit came with a carboy brush and better bottle.

My carboy brush that came with the kit my daughter got me for Christmas is still in pristine condition. Any OxyClean soak is all I have ever done. It's just to easy.

Sometimes I might have to put a rag in a swirl it around but I have never touched the inside of any of my carboys with a brush.

Back