Batch Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So as I anxiously await the onset of colder weather I have been thinking about giving cider a try. I am wondering if anyone brews smaller batches of the stuff, like a gallon or 2?

I was thinking I could pick up a gallon carboy, a gallon of juice, some yeast, and an airlock and have at it. What say you?

I have on occasion, but only if it's something experimental that I'm REALLY skeptical about. For AG beers, the extra investment in ingredients to go from 1-2 gallons to 5 is peanuts, and the smaller batch doesn't really save that much time.

For something like cider or an extract brew that you can put together more quickly, the smaller batches might make more sense.

I can get cider in glass gallons & a stock carboy bung fits nicely. I pour off a glass, add yeast & go. Ciders don't generally form krausens, so you don't need much room. Other times. I'll do a large batch with blackberries.

I live in a 200 sq foot apartment, so I really don't have the room for my five gallon joberdoos. And I don't drink all that often anyway, so it makes sense for me to only make a gallon or so when I'm not back home.

... I'll have to make a trip to my local orchard this October....

david_42 said:
...Ciders don't generally form krausens, so you don't need much room...

Just make sure not to confuse cider with EdWorts Apfelwien. This apple crumb-cake krausen was around for nearly a full week.

CiderKruesen_12Hrs.jpg

Back