Just drank the first bottle of my first AG batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
All I can say is, "wow!"

My all-columbus APA is without a doubt the best beer I've ever brewed.

The Columbus flavor and aroma are a little intense right now--they'll probably mellow a bit (it's only been carbonating 8 days), but I might consider cutting the columbus with something a little softer--maybe willamette--in the flavor/aroma additions next time I try this.

But I'm thrilled: clarity and color are fantastic, nice hint of maltiness under the hops.

I bottled my second AG batch--a wit--just now. My only concern after tasting it is that it tastes a bit BMC-ish, but I'm sure it will have more character after bottle conditioning. The color (extremely pale, slightly grayish and cloudy--a lot like Hoegaarden) would be pretty-much impossible to achieve w/ extract.

I'm definitely hooked--the downside is that it's hard to find time for brewing AG batches.

Congrats! You are officially converted.
cweston said:
I bottled my second AG batch--a wit--just now. My only concern after tasting it is that it tastes a bit BMC-ish, but I'm sure it will have more character after bottle conditioning.
I've noticed that with some APA's I've done during racking...fortunately none of that character was apparent in the final product.

Funny you should say that - thats exactly how I would describe my first extract hefe. Its really quite light, but refreshing.

The first thing I noticed to was the clarity of the beer. My first attempt was good but a little light on flavor. The last 2 have been better due to better temperature control. I ordered a mill for the next batch so I am curious as to how that will help with efficiency.

BMC-ish - Now thats funny. I just bottled a very light in color Pils last night that I could say that about to. I told my wife that maybe my Bud drinking relatives might like this one. Hopefully a little more character will come out with aging for my sake though. I cant drink the mass produced beers anymore. Except Sam Adams, Guiness and Molson.

Dan

Back