Making A Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eluterio

Reaction score
First time doing a yeast starter but have a few questions.

I have a 1000ml flask one could make a 1 qt starter with it by adding the ratio of 1 oz of dme to 10 ml of wort or 2 cups of water to 1/2 cup of DME gets a stater going.

2 up does not make 1liter, is this accurate?

Or do I use 1 litter of water to proper ratio of DME?

Can I use a growler and a flask to make a 2 plus litter starter by mixing the yeast to the wort in the growler then spitting it with into both and using remaining wort to fill the 1000ml and growler?

For every 2 cups water you need half cup of dme.

1l ~ 1qt in my book so just add slightley less than a cup of dme

You can basically use anything you want to make a starter in just as long as its clean and has something covering the top so dust and junk doesn't fall in, most people on here use foil. If you desire i see no reason why you couldn't make 2 smaller ones then just mix them together if you like but personally I would just use a smaller pot with a lid or a growler or 1 gallon jug... or anything that holds it all.

And since its your first time, remember to chill the wort you make for you starter just like you would your beer so you don't kill your yeasties

Probably best to make a step starter using a calculator like this www.yeastcalc.com instead of splitting a yeast vial. You would simply make a starter in your 1000ml flask, let yeast settle to the bottom, decant wort/beer off the top and add new wort back to the yeast cake. This calculator will also help you with amount of DME to use.

Latest posts

Back