apple sediment at bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseld2009

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making hard cider. I used four differnt kinds of apples ,half were wild and picked off the tree, the other half from the store I used a food processor that eventually started smoking and blew up with five apples left to go lol, I had more than a gallon of juice so that was fine. I used a filter net to extract another three cups of juice from all the mash left over . I then cooked the cider to kill anything but did not boil as I read it takes away flavor. I used a 1 gallon glass jug, half packet of champaign yeist , half cup of brown sugar, cinnomon stick, and a vent on top. Started two days ago

Questions 1. I have about an inch of sediment on bottom is it okay to leave there or should i transfer clear liquid to new container ?

2 my yiest is forming at the bottom and is very active with lots of bubbles , should I see white yeast formations on bottom or is that contamination ?

3 if I haven't ruined my brew with the questions above how long should i let it ferment

1. It's fine for now. You'll get alot more sediment falling out, especially since you used a food processor and squeezed the pulp. In about 2 weeks, it should be starting to drop less lees (sediment) and you can rack (siphon) to a new sanitized vessel at that time.

2. It's fine.

3. Until it's done. It will stop dropping lees, and will clear. You should use a hydrometer to ensure it's actually done, but if it's not dropping any lees at all and it's clear, it's probably done. The problem is with cooking the cider- you would have set the pectins, which may mean that the cider will never clear. It's hard to say.

Back