new computer, 8 days, TOO LONG!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beta pleated sheet

Reaction score
I've been waiting for my Dell XPS M1710 to arrive since Jan 4. Apparently, all Dell machines are specially made with love in Malaysia. My current HP Pavillion sv6000 has been a little idiot to me for quite some time now, and I've outgrown it quite a lot. So, eight days and I shall forever be rid of the poorly made HP craptop, the broken fan that makes hideous sounds and overheats, and most importantly the 512 MB of RAM.

Just because I'm that much of a nerd, here's the specs. It comes with Vista, but I'll be running XP on it.

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5600 (1.83GHz/667MHz/2MB)
17" LCD screen
2 GB RAM
512 MB Nvida GeForce 7950 GTX
120 GB hard drive
DVD RW

Sounds awesome!
My problem is that I have no patience so I go to best buy and get their no interest plan. Walk out with a computer that day.

My Sony Vaio is 5 years old and is plugging along nicely. This year I had to reformat the hard drive and eliminate the partition but other than that it works great! Looks like I won't have to make a trip to best but for quite awhile. (DARN!)

I'm impatient so I build my own with parts from NewEgg. :) They rock.

Anyway, glad to see someone else is resisting the forced downgrade to Vista.

You know..

Dell sells GNU/Linux PC's now, if you get tired of dealing with Windows all-together. :mug:

I have a Dell M1710 and I love it; unfortunately it has vista on it but I don't want to change anything with it because its a replacement for my last dell laptop.

Hope you enjoy the laptop!

Kevin Dean said:
I'm impatient so I build my own with parts from NewEgg. :) They rock.

Anyway, glad to see someone else is resisting the forced downgrade to Vista.

You know..

Dell sells GNU/Linux PC's now, if you get tired of dealing with Windows all-together. :mug:

+1 on BYO with Newegg. As for Linux, I always recommend people keep one windows computer in the house. There's no telling when a really nice, but uncompatable, piece of hardware will come your way and it just won't run on Linux. Or when you just find yourself NEEDING to run a windows-specific program.

But yes, for simplicity and convenience, every other computer should be Linux all the way. After a brief learning curve, and appreciating what you need windows for, everything else is better done on your Linux flavor of choice.

Well, I do quite a lot of gaming (why I'm shelling out for this system), so windows is a must.

Anyway, called the order status hotline just a few minutes ago and I've moved out of building stage and into testing, which is really just when they load up the OS and make sure it will at least turn on. After that, it's off from Malaysia to Dell HQ to me!

:D

I use one of these.

shuttle2.jpg

Back