Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brew a similar beer with just sorrachi Ace. I saw this recipe and really want to try it but For some reason I am against the limeade addition. Has any one done this with just the hops and zest? Also i was looking to use WL320 instead becuase i dont want any clove or banana flavor since there is no limeade to hide it. Im really excited for teh Moteuka hop. Also has anyone used lemon zest instead of lime or does the lime add a bit more sweetness to it?

Experiment and let us know. I've not brewed this beer so am not speaking from experience, but if you do not use the limeade addition, it will surely be a very different beer.

Don't even know how to respond to that. I have seen people complain about banana and clove taste over powering the beer from the listed yeast. That is why I decided to get a different witbeir yeast that does not have that. Those are flavors I do not enjoy with lemon and lime. As for the limeaid, I prefer to have more of a beer taste than the thin taste of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. The whole point of these threads are for people to share their experiences and help people build the beer to their taste.

I've only brewed this once, and it's just now finishing up in bottles so take what I have to saw with a grain of salt. From my samples so far the banana isn't overpowering, but there are certainly clove notes. As far as the lime taste, it isn't particularly overpowering either. I was a little worried about both of these as well so I brewed a smaller batch initially, but followed the recipe exactly. Now that I've sampled some of the finished product I'm already planning my next batch, and I'm going to do a full run this time.

My advice would be if you are interested in a Lemon Lime Hef, brew it as the recipe states, but possibly in a smaller quantity. If you just want to brew a wheat beer, I'm sure there are a lot of other recipes out there that might fit the bill. Or adjust the recipe as you see fit and see what you get! That's part of the fun with brewing beer is you get to experiment.

What drew me to this beer was the considerable about of time SD-Slim went through developing this beer, and the large community of people who stated how great it was. Either way you will have great beer. I just figured I'd see how the recipe turned out before I altered it. As far as your specific questions regarding the alterations, I've read this thread through a couple of times and don't really remember people making the specific adjustments. It's a long read, but if you are really set on altering the recipe I'd read the whole thing and thing go from there.

Cheers!

I've only brewed this once, and it's just now finishing up in bottles so take what I have to saw with a grain of salt. From my samples so far the banana isn't overpowering, but there are certainly clove notes. As far as the lime taste, it isn't particularly overpowering either. I was a little worried about both of these as well so I brewed a smaller batch initially, but followed the recipe exactly. Now that I've sampled some of the finished product I'm already planning my next batch, and I'm going to do a full run this time.

My advice would be if you are interested in a Lemon Lime Hef, brew it as the recipe states, but possibly in a smaller quantity. If you just want to brew a wheat beer, I'm sure there are a lot of other recipes out there that might fit the bill. Or adjust the recipe as you see fit and see what you get! That's part of the fun with brewing beer is you get to experiment.

What drew me to this beer was the considerable about of time SD-Slim went through developing this beer, and the large community of people who stated how great it was. Either way you will have great beer. I just figured I'd see how the recipe turned out before I altered it. As far as your specific questions regarding the alterations, I've read this thread through a couple of times and don't really remember people making the specific adjustments. It's a long read, but if you are really set on altering the recipe I'd read the whole thing and thing go from there.

Cheers!

I think Im going to do the old fashioned split batch. Ill do half with the limeade and half without. I will use the WL320 though. Just can't stand that clove and banana taste in anthing but pumpkin beer lol.

Again I just want everyone to know that my first post on this page was in response to a unhelpful post. Sorry if it sounded hostile. I did edit it to make it more clear.

I think a split batch sounds like a great idea. Just be sure to report back with your comparison. It might help out some future people who were concerned with the limeade addition. I know I was but just decided to go for it, and I'm glad I did. If you really dislike clove then WLP320 sounds like a good option.

Good luck!

I say go with it. The joy of brewing is taking ideas and tastes to suit your own. I'm sure 95% of us brew for ourselves and our loved ones. And brownie points with other brewers...... I myself have wondered about the clove and banana but it is said they melo and subside with a little age.

Let us know how the cleaner yeast does and provide feedback.
You may be on to something that's worth sharing.

Mysticmead said:
Blow Off Tube. Get in the habit of using one with every batch of beer. you
never know when one will for ballistic and fill the airlock.

Thanks, I'm using one. This brew is bubbling like crazy which the blow off can handle but every once and a while it belches.

Got the yeast starter going now and will be brewing another batch tomorrow but going to try lemon zest and simply lemonade. I'll keep the hops the same and see how it turns out.

i did the split batch on this one as i was unsure about making 10 gal of this but after kegging the limeaid one i can tell ill be doing 10 gal limeaid on the next go around.really limey. going to serve this next weekend at a large event and looking forward to the feedback,i didnt really need the blowoff tubes though

i did the split batch on this one as i was unsure about making 10 gal of this but after kegging the limeaid one i can tell ill be doing 10 gal limeaid on the next go around.really limey. going to serve this next weekend at a large event and looking forward to the feedback,i didnt really need the blowoff tubes though

So you did 5 with limeade and 5 without? Did you follow the recipe exactly otherwise in regards to yeast, hops, grain bill?

Great recipe Slim. Only addition was an oz of Citra late in the boil. Cracked one last night after a month or so in the bottle and it is delicious. Very refreshing, yet definitively a hefeweizen. I love the clove phenolics put off by this yeast w/ a lower fermentation temp, and paired w/ the lemon-lime is a great combo. Should be smooth and easy drinking come summer when the temps rise here in the midwest. Cheers.

Mine has been in the fermenter since Sunday. Used lemon zest and lemonade instead of lime. Just added the lemonade today and it's happily bubbling away again.

image-1603787110.jpg

HawksBrewer said:
Great recipe Slim. Only addition was an oz of Citra late in the boil. Cracked one last night after a month or so in the bottle and it is delicious. Very refreshing, yet definitively a hefeweizen. I love the clove phenolics put off by this yeast w/ a lower fermentation temp, and paired w/ the lemon-lime is a great combo. Should be smooth and easy drinking come summer when the temps rise here in the midwest. Cheers.

Glad you liked it!

HawksBrewer said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

fireslayer said:
Mine has been in the fermenter since Sunday. Used lemon zest and lemonade instead of lime. Just added the lemonade today and it's happily bubbling away again.

I think you will enjoy the lemonade version...if you feel like has an a dry unsweet taste to it, add frozen strawberries!

SD-SLIM said:
I think you will enjoy the lemonade version...if you feel like has an a dry unsweet taste to it, add frozen strawberries!

I should clarify...add frozen strawberries to your mug after its been poured....give a great look, makes it ice cold and it taste like strawberry lemon aide!

SD-SLIM said:
I should clarify...add frozen strawberries to your mug after its been poured....give a great look, makes it ice cold and it taste like strawberry lemon aide!

That sounds really good!

So I'm curious, for those of you who have brewed this recipe with all the original ingredients....where would you feel comfortable subbing? Grain, hops, yeast or limeade? I'm a little partial since its my recipe, but I'm curious what others are ok with.

So I'm curious, for those of you who have brewed this recipe with all the original ingredients....where would you feel comfortable subbing? Grain, hops, yeast or limeade? I'm a little partial since its my recipe, but I'm curious what others are ok with.

maybe subbing the base grain... swapping pislner for the pale malt... the yeast can be a direct swap for Wyeast 3333. Maybe doing a double decotion mash to get some extra flavors... but I'd stick with the limeade and hops

Mysticmead said:
maybe subbing the base grain... swapping pislner for the pale malt... the yeast can be a direct swap for Wyeast 3333. Maybe doing a double decotion mash to get some extra flavors... but I'd stick with the limeade and hops

Interesting...I was never a big fan of Wyeast 3333, due the strong sulfur flavor it gives off...but I know you've brewed this a few times, so I might have to give it another try!

Tastes so darn good almost afraid to mess with it.. :) I did think about trying Safale us-05 but have not.

Interesting...I was never a big fan of Wyeast 3333, due the strong sulfur flavor it gives off...but I know you've brewed this a few times, so I might have to give it another try!

After having poor luck finding hops, I've got got my stash ready to go once I've got open fermentors.

I bought 3333 as a direct sub for hefe IV since I can double dip and use it for my Schwarz-Weizen.

Hopefully it cooks up the same for your recipe Slim!

Day four, about to add Limeade. Quick question, I have 3.5 gallons in 2 fermenters (split 7 gallon batch). Should I scale back the limeade to 3/4 of a bottle per fermenter? Also, I'm doing 1 limeade and 1 Simply lemonade w/blueberry (lemon blueberry hefe!) I'm excited! I couldn't believe all the different Simply products at the store.

ForumRunner_20130321_212408.jpg

1fast4door said:
Day four, about to add Limeade. Quick question, I have 3.5 gallons in 2 fermenters (split 7 gallon batch). Should I scale back the limeade to 3/4 of a bottle per fermenter? Also, I'm doing 1 limeade and 1 Simply lemonade w/blueberry (lemon blueberry hefe!) I'm excited! I couldn't believe all the different Simply products at the store.

Yeah I would go with 3/4

SD-SLIM said:

If I were going to sub I'd say this recipes lends itself well to small changes. Maybe sub the Motueka for Citra or use simply lemonade with mango instead of limeade. Or maybe add a small bit of honey malt. After brewing your recipe exactly I made a spinoff type blonde ale. I switched the base malt to MO and added 4oz of honey malt, used US05, and switched the Sorachi Ace for Citra. Leaving everything else the same. It was a pretty good beer .

KeyWestBrewing said:
If I were going to sub I'd say this recipes lends itself well to small changes. Maybe sub the Motueka for Citra or use simply lemonade with mango instead of limeade. Or maybe add a small bit of honey malt. After brewing your recipe exactly I made a spinoff type blonde ale. I switched the base malt to MO and added 4oz of honey malt, used US05, and switched the Sorachi Ace for Citra. Leaving everything else the same. It was a pretty good beer .

That sounds good, you should post the recipe for us to try!

Hey brother, if you could show some pictures of the lemon blueberry well in secondary that would be awesome. I've been very busy but next weekend I'm going to brew a 10 gal batch to get it ready for the summer.

Hey brother, if you could show some pictures of the lemon blueberry well in secondary that would be awesome.

I'm not going to secondary this one. I'm doing just like Slim, 3 week primary. But I will post pics of side by side between the 2.

1fast4door said:
I'm not going to secondary this one. I'm doing just like Slim, 3 week primary. But I will post pics of side by side between the 2.

I'm curious on the lemon blueberry flavor as well....I'm starting to believe that Simply has increased sales due to all of us brewing with it!

That sounds good, you should post the recipe for us to try!

The lime peel and limeade additions remain the same. Here it is......

Tropical Storm Blonde

Batch Size 6gal
OG 1.053
FG 1.010
IBU 20.6
SRM 4.4
Yeast US-05

Grain Bill - Single Infusion mash at 150f for 60mins

6.5# MO
4# White Wheat
1# Vienna
.25# Honey Malt

Boil

.5oz Motueka @ 60min
.5oz Motueka @ 10min
1oz Citra @ 5min

Pretty sure I got everything. I'll edit it in if I missed something.

The lime peel and limeade additions remain the same. Here it is......

Tropical Storm Blonde

Batch Size 6gal
OG 1.053
FG 1.010
IBU 20.6
SRM 4.4
Yeast US-05

Grain Bill - Single Infusion mash at 150f for 60mins

6.5# MO
4# White Wheat
1# Vienna
.25# Honey Malt

Boil

.5oz Motueka @ 60min
.5oz Motueka @ 10min
1oz Citra @ 5min

Pretty sure I got everything. I'll edit it in if I missed something.

That sounds awesome! Just another recipe to add to the list. :rockin: Thanks!

Just an update. The addition of basil came out AMAZING! 3 oz steeped after flame out for 10-15 min. Thanks again for the recipe. The hops and yeast make this beer great.

image-569876694.jpg

Anyone finding anywhere online that has both Sorachi Ace and Motueka hops? I see that Midwest has them but if I'm going to order the hops online (my LHBS doesn't carry thame) I would like to get the grains there too. Midwest hits me in the head for shipping. I wish AHS carried both.

Anyone finding anywhere online that has both Sorachi Ace and Motueka hops? I see that Midwest has them but if I'm going to order the hops online (my LHBS doesn't carry thame) I would like to get the grains there too. Midwest hits me in the head for shipping. I wish AHS carried both.

From Grain to Glass has both and grains. Good prices and fast shipping!

Back