1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the only thing that I would do to make a false bottom would be to get a round piece of stainless steel and drill 1/8 or smaller holes all over it. You could make a neat pattern too. In the long run it might be worth it to make a 10 gallon mash tun just because you will make a kick ass brew and you would want to make a bigger batch of it. I'm just thinking in the long run.
But if you make this one super nice and feel In a year you want to make a bigger I'm sure you could sell it.
Good luck.

The best part about this setup is that the fittings should be interchangeable with the 5 or 10 gallon Rubbermaids. Whenever I feel like upgrading, all I have to do is pull it apart and it should all fit right into a new cooler. Although, it's only about a $15 system, so I might just keep the small tun and have a separate large tun... but then again, I could use the second valve setup to put together a hot liquor tank. Oh, the possibilities!

Rawkstar320: Check out Deathbrewer's Partial Mash BiaB tutorial sticky. That's where I learned the basics of it. I've found that if I order my grains crushed and then, when I get them, throw them into a blender and give them just a little bit of a whizz I will end up with slightly higher efficiency (it's safe because in the bag you don't have to worry about stuck sparges). I figure I usually end up with 65-70% if I mash for an hour and let the bag rest in my separate sparge water for about 10 minutes, but you will find all of this discussed in the aforementioned thread. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips everyone. Using my standard mlt (2 gallon cooler) I get about 70% efficiency. I'm interested in biab because i can do (slightly) larger batches with equipment i already have. ($ saved = happy wife).

Thanks all!

Feels like a while since I've had a chance to sit down and post something here. Been keeping fermenters full though, just bottled two single hops ipas using some of the exp hops from farmhouse, have an arrogant bastard inspired beer ready to bottle and put together a smoked porter, rebrew of my braggot iipa, and a batch of skeeterpee light this week.

After a number of delays, I finally brewed my first AG small-batch (1 gallon) yesterday. It's the Pale Ale recipe from the Beer Craft book by Bostwick and Rymill. The book uses the BIAB technique, so that's how I brewed it. Amazingly, everything went smoothly. My only real concern is that there is a lot of trub and the wort looks very murky! Hopefully it will clear up as things progress. But the fermentation took off within 12 hours and it's bubbling right along now.

I just wanted to say thanks to all the contributors to this thread. I used a number of the tips and suggestions mentioned here and they definitely helped me get through the session. For example, instead of doing the entire mash on the stove, after the mash reached the target temperature I put my stock pot in the oven, on its lowest setting, to keep the temperature constant for the entire 60 minutes. That worked great! I also used a paint strainer bag. And, as many posts suggested, I squeezed the bag -- using a stainless-steel dog-food dish upside down in my Walmart plastic strainer -- to wring out the wort after mashing. It was a real help to have so many little tricks available.

Thanks again to everyone for all the expert info and assistance. Hopefully, I can return the favor as I become more experienced at AG brewing and come up with some ideas of my own that I can share.

Jack

Hi everything! I've been following this thread for a couple of months and figured it was about time to say Hi... I used to help a buddy of mine brew 5 gallons 5-6 years ago, well more like help drink'em... For xmas my wife got a me Brewmaster Select Mr.Beer kit. Well lets just say this sparked my interest in brewing beer again..Not being a fan of MrBeer, I figured I would give it try.. MrBeer has changed a lot. I couldn't believe all the different recipes they have. Since the kit that my wife got me came with 4 HME, I figured I would change them up a little..... I've already killed 2 different brews and have 2 others lagering for 2 months...

But this wasn't enough... I came across BBS and fell in love with 1 gallon all-grain... When I was brewing with my buddy, we only did extract with specially grains. There is something about making a beer from grain to finish product. Sweetness :)

I've learn a lot from this thread... I started with 1 gallon jugs but I have a couple of 2 gallon buckets on the way (I've been bugging Shoprite bakery for a few but timing hasn't been good). I would prefer all glass but at the same time I feel I'm losing a bottle to blow off and some bitterness because of all the krausen sticking to the neck... I brewed AHS Itsy Bitsy IPA and there must have been an inch of krausen/hop particles in the neck when I bottled last week.

I've been using my wife's 8 qt pot but I'm going to grab one of those cheap SS pots from wally world along with a handheld foodsaver (time to save some dry yeast and seal up hops). Down the road, I'm going to purchase a corona mill so I can stock up on grains since my closest LHBS is about 30-45 minutes away. Until then, I'll be purchasing kits from AHS, NB, BBS.. I'm thinking of trying Bewmasters Warehouse so I can make the wife BBS Coffee and Donut Stout again... She loved it! May have to upscale to 2.25/2.5 and use the MrBeer fermenter. We'll see....

Ok, i'll shut up now... Happy Brewing everyone

Very true,there is something extremely rewarding about making a beer from all grain to bottle! I've brewed 2 kits from BBS (everyday IPA,and now smoked wheat),last week I made my first SMASH,let's see how it all turns out.Sure as hell had fun doing it all ;)

Hi everything! I've been following this thread for a couple of months and figured it was about time to say Hi... I used to help a buddy of mine brew 5 gallons 5-6 years ago, well more like help drink'em... For xmas my wife got a me Brewmaster Select Mr.Beer kit. Well lets just say this sparked my interest in brewing beer again..Not being a fan of MrBeer, I figured I would give it try.. MrBeer has changed a lot. I couldn't believe all the different recipes they have. Since the kit that my wife got me came with 4 HME, I figured I would change them up a little..... I've already killed 2 different brews and have 2 others lagering for 2 months...

But this wasn't enough... I came across BBS and fell in love with 1 gallon all-grain... When I was brewing with my buddy, we only did extract with specially grains. There is something about making a beer from grain to finish product. Sweetness :)

I've learn a lot from this thread... I started with 1 gallon jugs but I have a couple of 2 gallon buckets on the way (I've been bugging Shoprite bakery for a few but timing hasn't been good). I would prefer all glass but at the same time I feel I'm losing a bottle to blow off and some bitterness because of all the krausen sticking to the neck... I brewed AHS Itsy Bitsy IPA and there must have been an inch of krausen/hop particles in the neck when I bottled last week.

I've been using my wife's 8 qt pot but I'm going to grab one of those cheap SS pots from wally world along with a handheld foodsaver (time to save some dry yeast and seal up hops). Down the road, I'm going to purchase a corona mill so I can stock up on grains since my closest LHBS is about 30-45 minutes away. Until then, I'll be purchasing kits from AHS, NB, BBS.. I'm thinking of trying Bewmasters Warehouse so I can make the wife BBS Coffee and Donut Stout again... She loved it! May have to upscale to 2.25/2.5 and use the MrBeer fermenter. We'll see....

Ok, i'll shut up now... Happy Brewing everyone

I use Brewmasters Warehouse. It is so convenient that you can build your own recipes and buy grain in such small amounts. Buy BBS recipe book or scale some recipes down and buy your own grains instead of buying the kit. It will save you a lot of money. About 9 bucks including hops and yeast instead of BBS 15 dollar kits. :mug:

Very true,there is something extremely rewarding about making a beer from all grain to bottle! I've brewed 2 kits from BBS (everyday IPA,and now smoked wheat),last week I made my first SMASH,let's see how it all turns out.Sure as hell had fun doing it all ;)

Whats SMASH?

Brewed 2 gals last night and split into 2, 1 gal jugs, 1 w/ s-05, 1 w/ Windsor as an experiment. About half a pack each. Tonight the 05 is fermenting nicely at around 70F while the Windsor is the craziest fermentation I've ever seen and is at 78F sitting right next to the 05. I've seen some crazy fermentations with my 1 gal batches before but never such extreme activity and spike in temp. First experience with Windsor. Any thoughts or advice?

BattleGoat said:
Well, you said it was an experiment. Therefore, my advice is to sit back, watch it do it's thing, then drink the result.

Yes, an experiment, true enough. I got a little panicked over the temp but all seems well now. Based on the extreme differences in fermentation between the two yeasts I imagine I will taste two very different beers when this is all done.

I'm very excited to start 1 gallon batches. I'll still be doing 5 gallon extract brews, but this will let me experiment with all grain and crazy ideas.

Has anyone ever had the shock top honey crisp apple wheat? I'm looking to possibly clone it but not sure what spices go in it.

biggdaddymatt said:
Has anyone ever had the shock top honey crisp apple wheat? I'm looking to possibly clone it but not sure what spices go in it.

Man the stuff is great!

It is really good but I I dont think the other ingredients would be your bigger problem, thats gonna be getting your hands on flavorful honeycrisp apples. Where are you located?

Brewed 2 gals last night and split into 2, 1 gal jugs, 1 w/ s-05, 1 w/ Windsor as an experiment. About half a pack each. Tonight the 05 is fermenting nicely at around 70F while the Windsor is the craziest fermentation I've ever seen and is at 78F sitting right next to the 05. I've seen some crazy fermentations with my 1 gal batches before but never such extreme activity and spike in temp. First experience with Windsor. Any thoughts or advice?

Why are you fermenting at such a high temp? Should be down in the low to mid 60's.

What type of priming sugar and how much to use for 1 gallon batches? I've got two batches I'm getting ready to bottle soon.

What type of priming sugar and how much to use for 1 gallon batches? I've got two batches I'm getting ready to bottle soon.

What style and at what temp is now?
But for 2 vols. of CO2 at 60F you can use:
Sucrose 0.54 oz /gal
Dextrose 0.62 oz /gal
DME 0.71 /gal

OR Coopers carbonation drops ( 1 or 2 / bottle) etc.

I live in western central Ohio. I'm not wanting to make an exact clone just similar. It is some great stuff and I don't really know how I would put it all together. Any suggestions would be appreciated and very helpful. I have an american wheat recipe from nb I was thinking about trying it with.

MedBrewer said:

Google priming calculators, but usually I get about .7 oz of table sugar.

Someone on here mentioned using 1 Domino sugar cube per 12oz bottle. Never tried it.

MedBrewer said:

Also depends on the style you made and how carbed you want it.

biggdaddymatt said:
I live in western central Ohio. I'm not wanting to make an exact clone just similar. It is some great stuff and I don't really know how I would put it all together. Any suggestions would be appreciated and very helpful. I have an american wheat recipe from nb I was thinking about trying it with.

Maybe apple extract at bottling? Apples don't really seem to taste apple-y when you do stuff to them. Honey crisp are great eating, but might lose flavor in fermentation. Plus they have pectin in the peels, so it might be very cloudy.

All that said, if you're experimenting... Maybe use the NB kit/recipe and add some chopped apples after a week in primary? Don't know how much some is.

One is the smoked wheat kit from BBS (instructions call for maple syrup),other is SMASH 2row American pale. Both have been fermenting around 70F-72F.

I would go with a pound of apple puree per gallon in primary. It also says apple cider on the label so Id probably add spiced cider to primary as well.

Ostomo517 said:
I would go with a pound of apple puree per gallon in primary. It also says apple cider on the label so Id probably add spiced cider to primary as well.

If it says cider, it is probably added after fermentation and force carbed? Apple purée sounds right though.

Started a gallon of American wheat yesterday.

1 lb white wheat malt
.75 lb 2-row base
2oz C10L

5g Saaz at 60 min
5g Saaz at 15 min

Used about 1/4 cup US-05 slurry (saved 2 weeks ago). Rehydrated in ~1/2 cup water. Used a blow off tube and had bubbles in the morning.

Is US-05 usually slow to get started? Last time it seemed to take overnight to start.

I meant to only do a 45 min boil but realized my volume would be too high and I needed a full hour. But I already added the hops.

How much spiced cider would I need to add for a one gallon kit and would I add it at a week or rack to fermenter when I add the worth?

How much spiced cider would I need to add for a one gallon kit and would I add it at a week or rack to fermenter when I add the worth?

Amount I wouldnt know what to recommend other than doing it at primary, if added after ferment like suggested your lookin at having to pasturize probably.

ericbw said:
Used about 1/4 cup US-05 slurry (saved 2 weeks ago). Rehydrated in ~1/2 cup water. Used a blow off tube and had bubbles in the morning.

Is US-05 usually slow to get started? Last time it seemed to take overnight to start.

I have found 05 to be a slower starter than some of the other dry yeasts I've tried with my 1 gal batches. Overnight sounds about right.

I have found 05 to be a slower starter than some of the other dry yeasts I've tried with my 1 gal batches. Overnight sounds about right.

My batch from yesterday just started getting some foam this morning, though I have found that it can take off in a few hours with higher gravities

I am going to my LHBS soon to pickup a 2 gallon plastic ferm, I'm happy for this because now I can use that as primary and my jars as secondaries and lose less beer to blow off.

Anyway, I was wondering, I have 2 happy yeast cakes of a british Burton Style yeast and I may have the opportunity to get a vial of Belgian yeast fresh. I want ot make a really big beer for my next batch, so I was wondering if I should just use my cakes (I'd combine them for safety) and brew like a super strong Imperial IPA or a barley wine? Or should I consider if the yeast is available doing a Quad?

I'm leaning towards a big IPA or Barley wine, but I really want to try the Westy 12 clone that's posted somewhere on here.

Hey everyone, please forgive me if this is something that has been covered in this thread already. I tried the search and couldn't figure it out, and there are 284 pages to go through.

My main question is about yeast quantity. I don't have the ability (yet) to make starters or have a supply of yeast around. So how do I use an appropriate amount of yeast to make 1 gallon without over/under pitching? Do you just use a whole vial the same you would in a 5 gallon batch?

Generally the yeast packets are geared (as I understand it) toward the 5 gallon size. Can someone shed some light on this for me? My next batch will probably be a 1 gallon to try out a few variations. Thanks folks!

USMCPayne said:
Hey everyone, please forgive me if this is something that has been covered in this thread already. I tried the search and couldn't figure it out, and there are 284 pages to go through.

My main question is about yeast quantity. I don't have the ability (yet) to make starters or have a supply of yeast around. So how do I use an appropriate amount of yeast to make 1 gallon without over/under pitching? Do you just use a whole vial the same you would in a 5 gallon batch?

Generally the yeast packets are geared (as I understand it) toward the 5 gallon size. Can someone shed some light on this for me? My next batch will probably be a 1 gallon to try out a few variations. Thanks folks!

I usually pitch a half vial or so of white labs yeast (less if it's a low OG wort). I just used a half vial of WLP001 on a 1.072 OG beer and my FG was 1.011, so that says to me that all was good. In terms of overpitching yeast, I'm not sure where to draw the line, but I'd imagine a whole vial would be far too much yeast.

Back