Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone wants to check out my Punk band head over to http://www.soundcloud.com/breaker-bar
If you like us we are on facebook http://www.facebook.com/breakerbarband

If you are in Dallas we are opening for the touring punk band The Flatliners tomorrow night at Prophet Bar in Deep Ellum, come check it out. PM me if you listen to the tracks, they were recorded in a garage so bad quality but you get the idea.

You guys didn't multitrack this, did you?

I think so, I know ****all about recording, but we have an 8-track digital recorder and drums, bass, guitar, guitar, and vocals are each separate tracks, but we just mixed it on the recorder so it sucks. The drums are all one track though so we can't fix that.

Update: We're getting the occasional ska and thrash metal band brought up in discussion. While that's not what this thread was designed for we won't kick you out if you'd like to talk about ska or thrash metal.

As far as any form of hard rock goes, punk, metal, hardcore, etc,etc... I've always felt none of these things would have been possible were it not for what John Coltrane was doing with his saxophone in the early and mid 60's. Listen to the "Live From the Village Vanguard - Again!" version of Favorite Things and disagree at your peril ;)

As far as punk goes, Clash all the way. And Ramones. And Sex Pistols... that's about as deep as i ever really got into punk.

Also, i wanna be sedated.

I think so, I know ****all about recording, but we have an 8-track digital recorder and drums, bass, guitar, guitar, and vocals are each separate tracks, but we just mixed it on the recorder so it sucks. The drums are all one track though so we can't fix that.

Nice. I remember tracking to a 4 track recorder WAY back in the day. I also remember putting ALL of the drums on one track. I liked the stuff. The Oi influence is cool.

Let me know if you need any tips.

Nice. I remember tracking to a 4 track recorder WAY back in the day. I also remember putting ALL of the drums on one track. I liked the stuff. The Oi influence is cool.

Let me know if you need any tips.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. We are 100% it in for fun, just want to play some fast fun punk music. We are all DIY for the moment but we are hoping to record a real album in the future. We have a friend with a studio, but he wants about $175 a song to record/master, I've heard stuff he's done and its good, but not sure we want to drop that kind of money.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. We are 100% it in for fun, just want to play some fast fun punk music. We are all DIY for the moment but we are hoping to record a real album in the future. We have a friend with a studio, but he wants about $175 a song to record/master, I've heard stuff he's done and its good, but not sure we want to drop that kind of money.

If you guys feel like making a trip to the Phoenix area let me know. PM me and we can set something up.

Here's some stuff I've recorded/mixed, but none of it is recent. The stuff I can do now is a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Blacklistedstudio/videos?view=0

anyone seen the Buzzcocks live? they are coming here in April. Pretty sure I'm buying a ticket ASAP

dfc said:
If you guys feel like making a trip to the Phoenix area let me know. PM me and we can set something up.

Here's some stuff I've recorded/mixed, but none of it is recent. The stuff I can do now is a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Blacklistedstudio/videos?view=0

Oh my god your hitler subtitles is the best I have seen to date oh man thanks for the awesome laugh you got some skills to on All the other stuff to man

I caught the last show of the tour on Sat night of Every Time I Die, they absolutely killed it. :rockin:

Acacia Strain was half decent except for the lame diatribes between songs.

So far so good as far as tour is concerned.

Picture and tour diary of the FBS (Fight Before Surrender) tour.

On 3-15-13 in Buckland Ohio was our kickoff show. We had a decent turnout of around 130 people. While I'm not touring as an audio engineer the guy who was running sound for the show had just bought his gear 2 weeks before. I ended up running sound for the show and giving the guy a few pointers. During one band's set they made it clear they wanted a great deal of vocals in their monitor wedges. I told them I'd do what I could because we were having issues with feedback (it was in a gym) and the kid tried to tell me how to eliminate the feedback by rolling off all the highs. I informed him I taught this type of material and to not tell me how to do my job. They sounded good (as far as their audio was concerned) but in hindsight I should have just rolled off all of their highs so they'd have horribly muddy vocals. Lucky for them I'm a nice guy. It was an amazing show. Behringer console and left stack pictured as well as practice the day before.

3-15-13leftstack.jpg

3-15-13console.jpg

3-15-13Practice.jpg

On 3-16-13 we played in Somerset Kentucky. This was a poorly run show all around that was promoted poorly and had a very bad turnout with horrible sound. It was in a theater (obviously designed/built to sound good) and all I could hear was the low end of the bass and that was coming from the actual cab. Horrible monitor mixes despite SEVERAL requests for more bass, more guitar and at least a little bit of vocals. After the show the engineer came backstage and praised our performances and said "If you ever need an audio engineer let me know". I bit my tongue and pursed my lip as the guitarist of the band I'm touring with looked at me to see my reaction. :) It was great. The drive to the show was gloomy and the people we stayed with have a pet boa. Picture of drummer hand, gloomy road and boa included.

3-16Snake.jpg

3-16Snake2.jpg

3-16drummerhand.jpg

3-16gloomyroad.jpg

3-17-13 Nashville (St. Paddy's Day) Foobar: I got to see a few former students at this show. This was an amazing show from start to finish. All of the bands were great (it was an all punk show) and the crowd loved it. The bar was giving out free merchandise (shirt pictured). The audio engineer knew what he was doing and I recognized it even before any audio was run. He was on a ladder troubleshooting the lights. I ended up talking to him and he went to school for audio engineering in the DC area. He was familiar with the school I teach at due to all of our magazine ads. Picture of Yamaha console and former students included as well as free shirt.

3-17console.jpg

3-17RicoCaleb.jpg

3-17shirt.jpg

3-18-13 We've got a few days off so we're staying in the Nashville area. One of the good things to do on tour is to eat local cuisine. We got some spicy chicken. The guys we're touring with (Triple Stitch) from Minnesota were crying and all red from the spicy chicken. Me living in the Southwest gave me an unfair advantage apparently. I finished the chicken with no problems other than a slightly runny nose. Picture of chicken included.

3-18SpicyChicken.jpg

Looks like a blast man! We are hoping to do a week long mini-tour this winter. Our main singer (we all sing some songs but he sings about 2/3) is leaving the country for 6 months for work, so our guitar player and myself have to learn to sing a whole lot more really quick. We have a show scheduled Apr 17 and May 26, last night was our first practice with us singing more and I blew my voice out one time through the set. Should be a challenge. Keep posting pics as the tour goes on man, really does look like fun.

Looks like a blast man! We are hoping to do a week long mini-tour this winter. Our main singer (we all sing some songs but he sings about 2/3) is leaving the country for 6 months for work, so our guitar player and myself have to learn to sing a whole lot more really quick. We have a show scheduled Apr 17 and May 26, last night was our first practice with us singing more and I blew my voice out one time through the set. Should be a challenge. Keep posting pics as the tour goes on man, really does look like fun.

Will do. We're playing tomorrow night in Jackson, MS. We're booked full up until Saturday next week, so I should have some good stories and pictures coming up.

Good luck on your upcoming shows!

3-22-13 We played in a skate park in Jackson, MS. The band we're on the road with (Triple Stitch) has this baseball bat they put out at their merch table. Every night it ends up getting stolen (mostly by us). They also have some grenades that usually end up with the pins getting pulled. They sometimes end up missing as well.

During Triple Stitches set Josh (Guitarist of FBS) decided he wanted to wear one of the rental helmets at the skate park. It seemed like a good picture. The kids were dancing pretty well at this show, so I got a nice picture of that. No picture of the "PA" here because I forgot, but it was just a 6 channel board. I think it was a Behringer, but I'm not sure. Pictures of bat/grenade, Josh wearing a helmet, pit and skate park included.

3-22-13bat.jpg

3-22-13skatepark1.jpg

3-22-13Skatepark.jpg

3-22-13Pit.jpg

3-22-13Joshhelmet.jpg

3-23-13 Squeaky Lizard (Ocean Springs, MS). This was a rather small show with a small turnout. The guy running sound said he used to work at a TV station. I don't know which one, but he kind of discredited himself when I saw his "Bucket O' Mics". Not that he called it a bucket o' mics, but that's exactly what it was. The stage was kind of small and the last band most definitely turned the whole show into a competition... of who could get the most drunk. Their drummer won. It was a cool little venue and we got hooked up with a crew called the "Plug Uglies". They have several chapters in the south, one of which was in Columbus, GA which brings us to...

3-23-13bucketomics.jpg

3-23-13squeakyLizard.jpg

3-24-13 Plug House (Columbus, GA). We played a show in a warehouse called the Plug House. It's rented out by the Plug Uglies and they've turned it into a venue. It was a cool little place and we had a great time here. I'm actually typing this up from a loft in the warehouse. They had several beds and couches set up upstairs in this loft and we stayed here last night. We actually got paid BEFORE the show here which almost NEVER happens. There was a vocal PA (Peavey) set up and a decent stage. I've also included a picture of a vital requirement of touring; deodorant. If you're lucky you can shower every day. If not, deodorant and A LOT of it!

3-24-13Deodorant.jpg

3-24PA.jpg

3-24Stage.jpg

3-25-13 The Milestone (Charlotte, NC) This is the epitome of a punk rock venue. This venue has been around for more than 40 years. They still have graffiti on the wall from when Bad Brains played there and spray painted their band name on the wall. Stickers line the stage, walls, bathroom, etc. Everywhere you look is spray paint and stickers. This was a Monday night and a last minute show though, so the turnout wasn't great, but the audio engineer definitely knew what he was doing. The on stage sound was amazing. We rocked the house as hard as any other show on this tour and had a great time. The console was an Allen & Heath and most of the outboard gear was Peavey. There was a DBX 166A in the rack which is a GREAT compressor for punk rock. Pics of stage, Josh playing, console and outboard gear included.

3-25-13MilestoneStage.jpg

3-25-13MilestonePA.jpg

3-25-13Rack.jpg

3-25-13JoshMilestone.jpg

3-26-13 The Ultimate Basement (Spindale, NC) This place could have been better. For all of you aspiring audio engineers out there, this is one place you could get a gig if you needed to. The sound here was flat out HORRIBLE. Not that I advocate moving to Spindale, NC, but if you're in the area you could probably do a better job than the engineer here. At first all I could hear was vocals. When I asked for way more bass and a little guitar I got a little bit of crunchy bass. Yay. They had Yamaha and Peavey consoles and I don't remember the outboard gear. This was our last show with Triple Stitch since the 3-27 and 3-28 shows fell through. Since this was the last show with them we wanted to have a lot of fun with Triple Stitch. During their set I got Nate (FBS Bassist) to distract their merch guy while I took their flag from the merch booth. I then ran around the venue and on stage with it. After that Nate took their bat (not one night went by in which we did not steal their bat) and played it like a guitar on stage. Pics of stage, consoles, me with the flag and Nate with the bat included.

3-26-13UltimateBasementPA.jpg

3-26-13UltimateStage.jpg

3-26-13NateBat.jpg

3-26-13MeFlag.jpg

I was VERY much into pock rock from middle school till about halfway through high school. I really got into rockabilly and the whole greaser scene for awhile. Ive kinda always been a metal head at heart, so musically everything shifted to Death Metal for me. Played in a number of bands throughout the years ranging from punk rock, to rock n roll, to metal.

My taste is really eclectic these days. Im all over the place but im still fondest of the really heavy metal stuff. ( The Black Dahlia Murder, older Dimmu Borgir, At the Gates, Amon Amarth, etc. )

Awesome to see people goin for it though, be it punk rock or whatever floats your boat.:mug:

I was VERY much into pock rock from middle school till about halfway through high school. I really got into rockabilly and the whole greaser scene for awhile. Ive kinda always been a metal head at heart, so musically everything shifted to Death Metal for me. Played in a number of bands throughout the years ranging from punk rock, to rock n roll, to metal.

My taste is really eclectic these days. Im all over the place but im still fondest of the really heavy metal stuff. ( The Black Dahlia Murder, older Dimmu Borgir, At the Gates, Amon Amarth, etc. )

Awesome to see people goin for it though, be it punk rock or whatever floats your boat.:mug:

im in to alot of metal as well, currently rocking out to Decapitated. **** is so sick.

lmao, yeah; you could really see their style start to change in Black Sails.

Ha IMO that's basically their prime. Sing the Sorrow was the huge obvious change and the next album was basically New Wave. I remember listening to it and thinking that it was kinda ****ed up that they rode their fans onto the radio and then completely changed their entire sound and feel.

I'm sure it's a good bet that fans no longer chant 'Through our bleeding we are one!' at their shows.

Ha IMO that's basically their prime. Sing the Sorrow was the huge obvious change and the next album was basically New Wave. I remember listening to it and thinking that it was kinda ****ed up that they rode their fans onto the radio and then completely changed their entire sound and feel.

I'm sure it's a good bet that fans no longer chant 'Through our bleeding we are one!' at their shows.

I still have my old AFI hoodie but I am almost ashamed to wear it now. So funny that the hoodie says East Bay Hardcore, they couldn't be further from it now. Very Proud of Ya was the tops for me, He Who Laughs Last is one of all time favorite punk songs. Now I hear Miss Murder on the radio and get depressed that they even have the nerve to call themselves AFI.

Jason Alstrom used to post his listening tracks paired with a craft. I see that popping up now and then.. on FB and such.. "listening to sailin' on by bad brains and drinking a supahero by clown shoes".
good times..

I still have my old AFI hoodie but I am almost ashamed to wear it now. So funny that the hoodie says East Bay Hardcore, they couldn't be further from it now. Very Proud of Ya was the tops for me, He Who Laughs Last is one of all time favorite punk songs. Now I hear Miss Murder on the radio and get depressed that they even have the nerve to call themselves AFI.

I remember being HOOKED on "Very Proud of ya" in middle school.
I agree their new wave stuff blows goats.

Subhumans sound like they've really taken a dive as well.

FWIW, i still like old Thrice and Poison the Well. ( Hardcore but not Punk hardcore i guess. )

I still have that album around here somewhere. I tried listening to it again a few years ago, and it was nowhere near as good as I remembered it being when I was in middle school.

FWIW, i still like old Thrice and Poison the Well. ( Hardcore but not Punk hardcore i guess. )

Haven't heard anything knew from Subhumans in a long time. If they've gone downhill, that sucks.

And Poison The Well was one of the few screamo bands I didn't entirely hate.

SurfJunkie said:

Still rock opposite of December

Back