First doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbell79

Reaction score
Gonna try brewing this today. Recipe says to do a 3 stage ferment. First is 1-3 days at 60-65 degrees. Then 10 days at 50 degrees. Last is 3-12 weeks at 35-40 degrees. Is an old refrigerator the best way for the last part? Any other advice from the pros on this one?

I would NOT ferment in the 60s, as a dopplebock is a lager. I'd make a HUGE starter, and ferment it at 48-50 degrees. I'd do a thorough diacetyl rest at 60 degrees, and then rack and start lagering.

An old fridge might work, if you have a temperature controller. My fridge won't get up to 50 degrees without a separate controller.

How long do you suggest for the ferment and rest phases? I don't have a lot of experience with lagers. Thanks for the reply.

Gonna try brewing this today. Recipe says to do a 3 stage ferment. First is 1-3 days at 60-65 degrees. Then 10 days at 50 degrees. Last is 3-12 weeks at 35-40 degrees. Is an old refrigerator the best way for the last part? Any other advice from the pros on this one?

What is the recipe and what is the yeast and who wrote those instructions? Like Yooper said 60-65F is much too warm for a true lager yeast. To answer your last question, yes, an old fridge is usually the simplest way to provide that last step. That step is called lagering, BTW.

You need a temperature controlled environment first, lots of threads on ferm chambers. First 2/3 of the ferm @ 50 (cool a very large (1G) starter just below this), then final 1/3 @ 60, slowly chill to 40 (don't chill more than 4 deg / day), then lager for 2 mos. Also, you need lots of O2 for lagers, a stone w/ pure O2 is optimal.

I just made that all grain recipe in december. I made a 2 liter then 3 liter starter with wlp 833 primary at 50 for 2 weeks the did a d rest at 60 for 3 days. It came out pretty good. Just my 2 cents

Back