White house beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is definitely not ruined. I would drink it as is and keep the ounce for a future brew day. In my experience mistakes often lead to great beer.

You could dry hop with the extra ounce. That would give a nice aroma to the beer and add a bit of taste but it would not be as intended. You won't get any bitterness from a dry hop though the 1.5 oz of fuggles wasn't giving much anyway.

Could I boil the leftover hops or something then add it to the batch before bottling?

hendew_24 said:
Yes it was...Noob mistake?

Well, not to be a ****** but a lot of flavors start making themselves more apparent at around 50 degrees, what I consider to be the ideal serving temp. I would only use a frosted mug for a Mexican lager or something like that, but it's just a matter of preference. Seriously though, try both and whatever tastes better is what's right for you.

EBrewMD said:
Could I boil the leftover hops or something then add it to the batch before bottling?

According to iBrewMaster the 1.5 ounce fuggles hop addition adds 0.91 IBU out of a total bitterness of 22.46 IBU for the White House Honey Ale. The contribution of only 0.5 ounce of fuggles is 0.3 IBU. That is a very minor difference in overall bitterness. From a bitterness perspective trying to correct the mistake is not worth it.

A hop addition at 1 minute is designed to add more aroma and flavor than bitterness. If you want to make up for that I would just add the extra ounce as dry hops. It won't be exactly the same. Dry hops is more aromatic and less flavor than a 1 minute addition. But it would be close.

If you choose to boil the hops in water I don't know what will happen. I don't know if the hops need any compounds from the malt to isomerize. You can try it. Just remember to cool that boiled water to around 70F before pouring it in the fermenter.

Pored some last night, and tastes great!!

As for the honey, I won't add so much next time. Had a slight headache this morning. If you're boiling it, I've read the type of honey won't matter. Boiling it denatures the honey, so no real flavor carries over.

White House Honey Porter
American Amber Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 9/14/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer:
Boil Size: 7.26 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Russ's Equipment
End of Boil Volume 6.76 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 85.1 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs 0.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.2 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.1 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
6.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.0 %
3.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.5 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 6 13.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 11.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 9 -
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10 8.1 %

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 %
Bitterness: 25.1 IBUs Calories: 196.2 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 20.6 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 5.8 oz
Sparge Water: 5.32 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 167.1 F 155.0 F 60 min
Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.57gal, 3.75gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 3.93 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.93 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Did you brew this? I have maris otter on hand and was thinking of doing maris otter instead of the 2 row and munich. Also, I am wonder what is the point of boiling it for 15 minutes before adding any hops? Or did you not boil for an hour as their extract recipe called for?

bottlebomber said:
Well, not to be a ****** but a lot of flavors start making themselves more apparent at around 50 degrees, what I consider to be the ideal serving temp. I would only use a frosted mug for a Mexican lager or something like that, but it's just a matter of preference. Seriously though, try both and whatever tastes better is what's right for you.

No worries, I had another sample in a simple beer glass, and I am pretty happy with the flavor, so much so I am going to share with the my co-workers.

Brundoggie said:
OK, so I brewed up a batch of the White House Honey Porter and thought I’d give a review:

Appearance – At first pour there was a lot of lively bubbling and a thick head but after a very short time it went completely flat. There was some residual bubble head but it was scattered and not coherent.

I expected a better color balance between the light malt extract and the darker grains but the brew color is definitely on the dark side. I’m sure that will appeal to some people.

Aroma – Very strong scent of Wright and Ayers hops which is very typical of the bitter Chicago-style brews. There is some masking of this bitterness with the use of government honey and Hawaiian flavors but the odor seems somewhat rotten as if something wasn’t quite right..

Taste – Despite the hype and expense there is very little taste. In addition to being flat and tasteless it is also very weak. Overall the flavor just doesn’t work.

When I contacted the White House they said that all my problems with this beer were due to the effects of the last batch I brewed (a Busch-clone). They also said I should try again and let the brew condition for 4 years to ensure full success.
That was brilliant.

I was reading THIS article about Brooklyn Brewery's Garrett Oliver reviewing the White House Honey Ale, when a particular line struck me...

"They had taken another British-style step, adding mineral salts to the water, a process intended to mimic the famous waters of Burton-on-Trent, a British town renowned for its brewing heritage."

Now from what I understand, they were brewing an extract beer.

I thought you weren't supposed to add brewing salts to extract recipes because the minerals are already IN the extract.

I could use some advice here, because I have this kit from Northern Brewer, and I'd like to make it as close to the original White House recipe as possible (WH honey aside). Should I order Burtonizing salts and use distilled water for this one?

Thoughts?

Thanks, guys!

In this case, Burtonizing the water is to enhance the flavor of the beer. The high sulfate concentration accentuates the hop flavor, but the alkalinity is not as important because there is no mash in an extract brew.

So should I use the full Burton Salts with distilled water and brew with that, or will it likely be overboard? I also have a bottle of gypsum. Would adding a small amount of that to regular spring water have the same flavor enhancing effect?

mcissell said:
So should I use the full Burton Salts with distilled water and brew with that, or will it likely be overboard? I also have a bottle of gypsum. Would adding a small amount of that to regular spring water have the same flavor enhancing effect?

Adding it to distiller water should be fine, just make sure you add the proper amount and not too much. Sulfates over about 500 ppm have been known to act as a laxative.

edds5p0 said:
Adding it to distiller water should be fine, just make sure you add the proper amount and not too much. Sulfates over about 500 ppm have been known to act as a laxative.

Since I can't know the mineral content of the extract, is there any way to calculate if this is going to be the case?

I'm thinking about making the WH Honey porter but have a bunch of roasted barley. Could I replace the black malt with roasted barley (I have a bunch left over from a Scottish Ale)?

Oh and does anyone know what the bittering hops used and how much in that recipe are?

Me neither. And I've watched that video a couple of times. Strange that Garret would say that. Does he know something we don't?

Thought I saw the recipes posted somewhere in one of the forums here. A search should find it.

Actually, just scroll down to the bottom of the window and you should see several similar threads.

unionrdr said:
Me neither. And I've watched that video a couple of times. Strange that Garret would say that. Does he know something we don't?

The only thing I can figure is that the author is referring not to actual Burton salts (as he says), but rather the 2tsp of gypsum that is listed on the official recipe.

My WH Honey Ale Extract kit from Austin Homebrew Supply came with 2 tsp gypsum to add w/ the bittering hops (60min.)
It's still bottle conditioning, so we'll see how I did on Election Night.

Well, my progress on my Porter is only so-so... I got less volume than I hoped, so I did dilute it as I kegged the beer, in order to make up my full 5 gallons. The beer isn't fully carbed yet but it does taste somewhat thin and bland. I'm hoping another 5-10 days on the gas, and some conditioning, will really let this beer shine through.

I used a rather old jug of inexpensive store-brand honey, I'd like to rebrew the recipe (or brew the Honey Ale instead) using a much higher quality, fresher varietal honey to see if I can pick up the difference.

Cracked open a slightly undercarbed bottle of my friend and my version of the White House Honey Ale. Quite a bit of honey flavor, and definitely very English. I'm digging it.

Update: let this one age for more than two weeks in the bottles. Holy chocolate malty deliciousness Batman!!!!!

The flavor was sooooooooo much more pronounced when I poured one last night. Thick, cream colored head that lasted to the last drink. Seriously wish I hadn't changed anything.

I plan on bottling in a week or two.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone has any pics of the finished product?

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone has any pics of the finished product?

Check on Page 40 of this very same thread.

As an update, I can say that after a couple more weeks the flavor is really well balanced, with a slight malt sweetness up front. Those hops work really well. This brew will knock you on your butt (7.5 ABV) :drunk: I had some fruity-ness in the aroma and front that has aged out to become more subtle. Can't wait to crack several open on Election Night.

Question for you guys about the WH Honey Ale:

Should I put in more honey?
(1/2 lb went in after flameout at 110F. Another 1/2 lb went into secondary.) The batch has another 8 days in secondary before bottling. More honey? or is that enough?

andrewmcd11 said:
Question for you guys about the WH Honey Ale:

Should I put in more honey?
(1/2 lb went in after flameout at 110F. Another 1/2 lb went into secondary.) The batch has another 8 days in secondary before bottling. More honey? or is that enough?

Well the recipe calls for 1 pound. You have that in already. How does it taste? You could prime the bottles with honey. I would suggest mixing your honey in some boiled and partially cooled water and adding that to your bottling bucket.

It may have been mentioned in the 450+ posts in this thread, but I was leafing through something and Northern Brewer had a couple of White House Extract kits advertised.

I made a variation of the White House recipe and have had it in a glass carboy for two weeks. Prior to that, I had it in a bucket fermenting for 3 weeks.

I originally had planned to let it sit in the secondary for another week or so, but now I want to bottle it so that it will be ready for Thanksgiving...

Do you guys think it is too soon to bottle? How many weeks before you guys botttled it? Lastly, how long did you bottle condition?

I usually go about two weeks before bottling. If the SG readings haven't changed in at least three days (or longer), it's fine to bottle it. I like it to be pretty clear when I bottle it so there is less sediment in the bottle, but after all this time it should be pretty clear!

Yup bottle it if u got a good fg reading. Bottle condition for 2-4 weeks higher the temp the better.

I just had an imperial blonde 8.5% or so bottled about close to 3 weeks at 63 dagrees and its tasting good, im sure its a bit young but really drinkable! :)

superfknmario said:
Thanks! Looks like tomorrow is brew day AND bottling day! :)

Good way to spend a sunday.

Im doing my first ever wait all night for wort to chill, so ill be pitching my first liquid yeast tommarow sometime.

Back