Need Hop Suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning a Scottish 80/- (Export Ale) and need advice on hopping. Most recipes I've seen point to either Fuggle or EKG. What other hops go well with a Scottish Ale?

Are any of... Perle, Tettnang, Willamette, or Horizon... good substitutes? (I have these readily available, and wouldn't have to shop around.)

I know that the BJCP style for this ale dictates a fairly subtle, unintrusive hopping with IBUs in the 15-30 range.

Ideas?

You hit the nail on the head with your last statement, in that hops shouldn't do much in a Scottish besides balancing out some sweetness.

If I couldn't go with Fuggles or EKG, I would probably go with Perle (of the ones you listed above). It's good and clean, keeps something of a European character, and is low enough AA% so that you can use a measureable amount and still stay in the proper range.

TL

So it would appear that really "anything but the Horizon" is good. :)

Thanks much, I'm rarin' to go on this one! I've never made a scottish before, and I've only tried a couple commercial examples for that matter, so I'm quite excited to see how this comes out!

Since Scottish ales are usually only bittering/some flavor hops, I'd bitter with any of those hops and flavor with Willamette. When you use a hop for bittering, it doesn't matter much what the flavor is IMO...

Back