Do certain beers ferment at higher than normal temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ectoplasmicfunk

Reaction score
Since lagers ferment colder than ales, I was wondering if there are any specialty beer types that ferment at high temperatures, like in the 80's?

Many belgians ferment happily at warm temperatures, including Saisons, which seem to like it the warmest. Saison DuPont is fermented in the mid 90's F. Those are all ales, not a different species of yeast like lagers, though.

Many belgians ferment happily at warm temperatures, including Saisons, which seem to like it the warmest. Saison DuPont is fermented in the mid 90's F. Those are all ales, not a different species of yeast like lagers, though.

Interesting, I didn't know they were ales - but mid-90's!!

It all comes down to the yeast. Take a look at Wyeast or White Labs websites, they will offer their recommended fermentation temps for each yeast strain which is generally matched with specific styles of beer. Even within a single yeast strain you will get different characteristics based on temps. For example if you ferment a Wyeast Bavarian Wheat 3638 at warmer temps, you will get banana favors. Ferment that same yeast at colder temps in the high 60's and you get no banana but instead you will get clove flavors.

I guess my point is, experimenting with yeast and temps can be fun!

Latest posts

Back