Weber Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's been years since I owned a kettle style grill and the last one came used with the apartment we lived in. It was a Weber. It did okay by us.

Weber kettles were on sale today and I had gift cards, so I got one. 22.5" One Touch Gold with two charcoal holders and the vinyl cover.

It doesn't come with the lid holder or a thermometer in the lid. I can kludge a holder. Surprised it didn't come with a thermometer. I'd like one I can install without cutting a big hole and takes air temperature, not a stick in the food type probe.

Any tips on using these grills? We were using a barrel type before and a drum before that.

use lump charcoal, once you get used to the adjusting the air you will love the weber, you can do different charcoal placements direct, indirect, and smoke out of one. I would say order the smallest bbq thermometer off ebay you can, and drill a nice clean hole in the lid.

Webers are great, and there customer service is top notch. I bought a performer at a yard sale and coming home, a rusted part snapped. I called them just to try to find out how much it would be to replace, gave them the 2 digit id number, and it was still within warranty and they shipped me out another complete bowl and frame assembly no questions asked. pretty awesome if you ask me.

Did some jalapeno poppers last night for the fiance and her friends on my Craig's List Weber Performer. Got some ribs in the fridge I'll be smoking on it tomorrow. I actually traded the gas grill I had in my garage for a case of beer to a friend a couple weeks ago. It' just been taking up space since I got the performer.

Congrats on the new grill!

Did 4 chicken breasts, a pack of hotdogs, a few red potatoes and toasted hotdog buns in 55 minutes.

Being the first time with this new grill, and the first time ever with the char boxes, I filled both boxes to the brim and had the vents wide open. The whole grill was done with the boxes on the sides. It did a wonderful job.

Chicken and hotdogs in the middle. Potatoes directly over the coals. Toasted buns direct too. Delish.

After grilling and eating, there's enough coal and heat left in there, I bet I could do at least some more hotdogs, sausages or maybe even burgers.

This one's a keeper. :tank:

IMG-20120901-00711.jpg

You are being too articulate and thus frightening me Zuljin...

I'm a Big Green Egg user so haven't played with a Weber for a decade, but for all around backyard grilling they are hard to beat. No experience with the wok, sounds like a trip to the burn ward to me.

Watched some you tube on the wok. It sits up higher and the handles are easier to use when on the grill than I thought.

Learned something else too. My lid has a hook on the underside. I didn't think it was bent out enough to hook on the side of the kettle because I couldn't get it to and no way they intend me to hang it on the glass infused fiberglass (plastic) handles. Maybe it's for something else. But, ah-ha, if you slide it just so, it hooks right on the side, securely. Sweet. I don't need that wire hanger thing.

Watched some you tube on the wok. It sits up higher and the handles are easier to use when on the grill than I thought.

Learned something else too. My lid has a hook on the underside. I didn't think it was bent out enough to hook on the side of the kettle because I couldn't get it to and no way they intend me to hang it on the glass infused fiberglass (plastic) handles. Maybe it's for something else. But, ah-ha, if you slide it just so, it hooks right on the side, securely. Sweet. I don't need that wire hanger thing.

I hang the lid of my One Touch on the handles every time. the handles get a bit grungy from the greasy char, but they don't melt.

I have a 30+ year old OTS and the legs have a tiny bit of rust but other than that it is still in great shape. I love it.

Those webber kettles have great heat convection from little charcoal. Puting wood chunks on top of the coals is easy with the hinged grate. Check out BBQ Pit Boys on youtube. They've been using them for years on all kinds of pit style bbq (offset heat). They give temps & Times.etc using one.

BBQ Pit Boys. I'll check that out.

My wife bought me a Weber brand chimney coal starter. It really works. Filled it with lump coal and lit two pieces of newspaper under it. Ten minutes later I had a can of lit coals.

A word of, you would think unnecessary, warning. Little pieces of lit coal can fall out the bottom. Wear shoes. I'm soaking my foot in ice water now. :eek:

Back