1st AG batch / feed back on the recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully14

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, i'm getting ready to do my first ag batch and i wanted to do a Brooklyn Sorachi Ace clone. The recipe calls for a step infusion mash with pilsener malt. I was a bit intimidated about a step infusion and wanted to do a single infusion, so the guys at the LHBS suggested using Maris Otter since it is better modified. What can I expect from switching these malts and changing the mash style? And what temperature should i mash at?
This is all brand new to me, so i'm hoping the benefit of your experience will help.

Here's the recipe:

10 Gallon

All grain - OG 1.084

Grain:
22 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Corn Sugar

Hops:
1 oz. Sorachi Aces @ 60 minute
1 oz. Sorachi Aces @ 30 minute
10 oz. Sorachi Aces @ Flameout
4 oz. Sorachi Aces Dry Hop in secondary 7 days

Wyeast 1214 @ 71˚F

The Original recipe was:

10 Gallon

All grain - OG 1.082

Grain:
22 lbs Pilsner (2-Row) German
2 lbs Corn Sugar

Hops:
1 oz. Sorachi Aces @ 60 minute
1 oz. Sorachi Aces @ 30 minute
10 oz. Sorachi Aces @ Flameout
4 oz. Sorachi Aces Dry Hop in secondary 7 days

Wyeast 1214

Mash in at 122F, hold 10 minutes. Raise mash temperature to 146F and hold for 60 minutes. Raise mash to 152F and hold 15 minutes. Then mash off at 168F. To 5 gallons of wort at 13.5P or 1.054, add corn sugar. Boil ends at 60 minutes. Cool to 64F, aerate well and pitch yeast. Ferment at 71F. After fermentation ends and yeast settles, dry hop with Sorachi Ace for 5-7 days.

Thanks,
Chris

Looks good. I think if you used a domestic pils malt, you could get away with a single infusion as domestic pils is well modified. The M-O is a sweet, bread-y base malt and pils has more of a dry, cracker-y character to it. Either way, the recipe looks like a really tasty brew!!!

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. It puts me a lot more at ease to hear it. Since i've already purchased the MO, I'll probably just go ahead and use it, but I'll look for domestic pils malt the next time I visit the shop.

I do have one more question, do you think a 2 liter starter will be enough, or should i make a larger one?

Thanks again.

I do have one more question, do you think a 2 liter starter will be enough, or should i make a larger one?

Do the 2 liter starter. When it's done, step it up to 4. That's how I do starters for my 10 gallon batches ('cept I use quarts).

Do the 2 liter starter. When it's done, step it up to 4. That's how I do starters for my 10 gallon batches ('cept I use quarts).

I have a few of those gallon wine jugs that Gallo comes in (I don't drink Gallo, but I get the jugs from my father).

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. It puts me a lot more at ease to hear it. Since i've already purchased the MO, I'll probably just go ahead and use it, but I'll look for domestic pils malt the next time I visit the shop.

Thanks again.

Check w/ MrMalty.com about the yeast starter. It really depends on the freshness of the yeast and how you make the starter.

Cool, thanks everyone. I have 2 2-liter flasks available and the yeast was just manufactured on the 21st.
I'll check Mr. Malty and see what's recommended there.
I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions.

Latest posts

Back