"barrel" jockey box build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steadfasthops

Reaction score
So I wanted a nice jockey box for doing events, we've got a few weddings and the 4th coming up this summer so I wanted to be prepared.

What I wanted was 6 taps and compact. So I decided to use a 10 gal igloo with a 6 way cold plate chiller inside and to dress it up a bit.

First I cut off the handles and cup holder thing.

image-915640571.jpg

Then I took 1"/2" 's from HD and stripped the edges at 10degrees.

image-3399777161.jpg

Then I cut them so that I could cover the lid with wood and still be able to excess the drain valve,
I glued the wood around the igloo to resemble a barrel.

image-2378046399.jpg

Next I got these precut wood discs from HD for the lid and bottom. I had to cut the lid side to same diameter as the lid so it would fit.

image-2177575871.jpg

image-2692329508.jpg

Next I took it to work and sanded everything up to make it look more barrel like.

image-4091259828.jpg

Got it looking decent.

image-4054442221.jpg

image-106286724.jpg

Next was aesthetics, I used a soldering iron to burn some graphics in, and got the holes drilled for the shanks.

image-1164052287.jpg

image-3710236466.jpg

image-2080482168.jpg

image-1729767685.jpg

image-1710992267.jpg

All that's left is to finish the bottom and stand, figure out a drip tray, stain, and poly coat I'm making it two pieces to be easier to transport.

This looks great. I have an old wine barrel I was think of putting a tower on for outdoor Summer parties. Was trying to think of what I'd put in it to hold ice/water. This is the thread/inspiration I need. A 5 gallon cooler will work perfectly.

Although, converting to a big @$$ jockey box sounds like a fantastic idea as well!! Definitely interested to see the final product and how it tests out with six warm lines and how often you'd have to bail water/add ice.

atjsparty said:
...Although, converting to a big @$$ jockey box sounds like a fantastic idea as well!! Definitely interested to see the final product and how it tests out with six warm lines and how often you'd have to bail water/add ice.

Ya that's the one thing that's been in my mind. I'm thinking that in the summer I'm still going to put the kegs in trash cans with Ice to cut down on the heat exchange. And insulating the lines would help too maybe the tube insulation from HD.

image-1493582729.jpg

So here she is just finished the trial run this weekend at our friends wedding and it worked perfect! None of the ice started to melt until after all 6 kegs were gone. Which only took about an hour and a half. Soooo impressed with the six pass chiller beer poured around 42 degrees which is perfect on a 92 degree day in Fresno.

Back