highest lagering temp..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyral210

Reaction score
Ok, I have removed the shelves in my fridge and can fit two demijohns in. so my fridge is now going to become a lagering cabinate. Now I know the higher the temp the shorter the lagering time required. But what is there highest temp I can get away with, and how long will it lager for?

Most guides say 34-45. I'm not sure if there's a highest you can get away with. I'd leave it lower and not rush it.

I'm doing my first lager and am planning on lagering it for 6-8 weeks. No point rushing my first attempt.

<Now I know the higher the temp the shorter the lagering time required>

Where, oh where, did you hear that?

Lagering time is entirely about conditioning, not a process in which the time can be shorter or longer depending on temperature. A good benchmark is to lager a week for every 10 gravity points of OG. So, depending on recipe, you're likely looking at 4 weeks minimum.

kyral210 said:
Wow, I had no idea it worked like that. My og was 1.63 so I should lager for 6 1/2 Weeks?

It dosnt realy. Its just a benchmark. Start with that but ultimately it comes down to does it taste right yet. I wouldnt call it ready just because the math says it is.

Back